PDA

View Full Version : Tank needs so much mag ?

timi hendrix
09/12/2014, 11:35 AM
Been keeping track of my mag lately because in the past ive been lazy but that aside. Now it seems to always be aroung 1200 even after I dose randys recipe for mag recipe 1. My cal is 400 plus and my alk is pretty steady at 8. Does this seem about right. I am using reef crysyals for salt. Thanks for your replys.

disc1
09/12/2014, 11:40 AM
Been keeping track of my mag lately because in the past ive been lazy but that aside. Now it seems to always be aroung 1200 even after I dose randys recipe for mag recipe 1. My cal is 400 plus and my alk is pretty steady at 8. Does this seem about right. I am using reef crysyals for salt. Thanks for your replys.

I'm not following your question.

Is it right that mag is at 1200, yes that is entirely possible.

Is it right that it didn't move after dosing something? Who knows, you haven't said how much of what you dosed.

timi hendrix
09/12/2014, 12:58 PM
Yesterday afternoon I tested for mag. It was 1200. So before I went to bed I added one cup to the display. This morning when I woke up I tested and it was still around the 1200 zone. I was wondering whats up with the mag. I was asking is it right that I need so much mag? I guess I wasn't clear on what I was saying. Just seems to need so much lately and I don't want to add too much at once.

disc1
09/12/2014, 01:17 PM
1 cup of what exactly? 1 cup of dry mag chloride should have bumped it a little. 1 cup of the solution from Randy's article I wouldn't expect to barely budge the number.

Mag supplements are pretty dilute. It can take a surprisingly large volume of supplement to make any discernible difference in the number. I've not been adding any mag on my new tank, but on the last one I was dosing dosing by the liter.

timi hendrix
09/12/2014, 01:41 PM
Ok thanks. I just have to dose one cup at a time and test test test. See how that turns out. The recipe is 5 cups of mag flake and 3 cups of epsoms in one gallon of r.o. I seem to be on the same page as you dosing by the litre.

disc1
09/12/2014, 01:44 PM
Ok thanks. I just have to dose one cup at a time and test test test. See how that turns out. The recipe is 5 cups of mag flake and 3 cups of epsoms in one gallon of r.o.

You're going to need way larger than 1 cup doses in a 105 gallon tank then. Check the calculator. Why guess? This can be solved with simple math. Why are people so scared of math these days?

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Aquarist007
09/13/2014, 07:31 PM
You're going to need way larger than 1 cup doses in a 105 gallon tank then. Check the calculator. Why guess? This can be solved with simple math. Why are people so scared of math these days?

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

What do you mean these days. I taught it for 30 years and fear of it was a real limiting factor for not learning it :eek1: