PDA

View Full Version : Got a letter from the power company today!!

tank41
09/12/2014, 01:25 PM
Received a letter in the mail today from my power company stating that I have been using 80% more electricity then other people in the neighborhood that have approximately the same square footage. How do I explain that to the Warden??? :)

HumbleFish
09/12/2014, 01:42 PM
Did it say in the letter if there were any consequences?

Something tells me they're not going to be very understanding if you explain about your tanks/addiction. ;)

NastyZ
09/12/2014, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't say anything if it's not asked to reply if they did want a reply I would tell them and I pay 80% more too have a good day it's none of there business why your using more energy

gone fishin
09/12/2014, 01:55 PM
It's all fun and games until the black helicopters show up over the house. :lol:

d2mini
09/12/2014, 01:59 PM
Tell them your meter obviously must be broke and you demand a refund.

AcroporAddict
09/12/2014, 02:01 PM
Tell them you like growing Reefs, have a lot of Reefers around your house, and will continue to Reef it up as long as you want.

m0nkie
09/12/2014, 02:07 PM
Secretly he has a grow room hiding under the fish tanks

thegrun
09/12/2014, 02:07 PM
If she never sees the letter does it exist?

saf1
09/12/2014, 02:24 PM
Received a letter in the mail today from my power company stating that I have been using 80% more electricity then other people in the neighborhood that have approximately the same square footage. How do I explain that to the Warden??? :)

You don't. You just say it is none of your business and carry on.

If no one else here sees the letter as a concern, well, no wonder we are in the state we are in. Unless you are growing pot or making meth... /boggle

Fish Biscuit
09/12/2014, 02:41 PM
I think if it just came regular US mail you pretend it never showed up & is sitting in the mailman's basement somewhere

sneeyatch
09/12/2014, 02:58 PM
I would have asked for my trophy. You're obviously doing it better than everyone else around you - hahaha

Drae
09/12/2014, 02:59 PM
Tell them that they're welcome! You're paying their salaries.

Zalick
09/12/2014, 03:03 PM
Tell them you like growing Reefs, have a lot of Reefers around your house, and will continue to Reef it up as long as you want.

+1! hahahahah

NSA you out there?

m0nkie
09/12/2014, 03:05 PM
my solar panels are being installed... $200+ a month is ridiculous.. and I'm Asian so I tend to be very cheap on using AC.. :hmm4:

JMorris271
09/12/2014, 03:20 PM
I have gotten those for years because of my koi ponds 4 pumps
Man, I cant wait until my aquarium stuff kicks in.

alton
09/12/2014, 03:25 PM
I would ask them to come check your meter, it does happen

saf1
09/12/2014, 03:41 PM
I would ask them to come check your meter, it does happen

That is true actually.

crn005
09/12/2014, 03:57 PM
my solar panels are being installed... $200+ a month is ridiculous.. and I'm Asian so I tend to be very cheap on using AC.. :hmm4:

I'm looking to buy a house at the beginning of next year and solar panels will definitely be one of my first purchases! Also, my wife is Asian. She's slowly getting used to how much we crank AC here in Houston.

m0nkie
09/12/2014, 04:08 PM
I'm looking to buy a house at the beginning of next year and solar panels will definitely be one of my first purchases! Also, my wife is Asian. She's slowly getting used to how much we crank AC here in Houston.

be sure to do your research on roofing.. a lot of houses in my neighborhood cannot support solar panels due to size of their roof and the direction its facing.

saf1
09/12/2014, 04:23 PM
Just signed contract for a new home, downsizing. Single story and can't wait. Solar was job one. Reviewed last years power usage and upgraded the number of panels just a bit to help offset. Love the tax incentive too which will feed into a tank upgrade :)

On topic though, still don't see why they should care how much you use as long as you pay your bill. There is no law that limits how much you can use. If you can pay for it then that is it. Water, on the other hand, is another story.

RocketEngineer
09/12/2014, 08:01 PM
High electrical usage or buying strange chemicals. It happens:

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/03/mans-home-raided-aquariums-searched-by-authorities.html

http://archive.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=509182

I say the best answer is to invite the power company to come see your tank. Show it off, prove that you are just a hobbiest. Invite over the local sheriff or police chief. It doesn't hurt to let folks know WHY you have a huge power bill.

saf1
09/12/2014, 08:28 PM

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/03/mans-home-raided-aquariums-searched-by-authorities.html

I say the best answer is to invite the power company to come see your tank. Show it off, prove that you are just a hobbiest. Invite over the local sheriff or police chief. It doesn't hurt to let folks know WHY you have a huge power bill.

Actually, it does. There is no reason for them to know why you use so much power. It is called privacy. You are paying for what you use, why should you explain it? If they think you are doing something shady they can come and ask at the door.

Depending on the state I can understand water. However, what is inside the home with law abiding citizens is another issue all together. Don't be in such a rush to give up your privacy...

Xavibear
09/12/2014, 09:11 PM
I agree with saf1!

albano
09/12/2014, 09:33 PM
Actually, it does. There is no reason for them to know why you use so much power. It is called privacy. You are paying for what you use, why should you explain it? If they think you are doing something shady they can come and ask at the door.

Depending on the state I can understand water. However, what is inside the home with law abiding citizens is another issue all together. Don't be in such a rush to give up your privacy...

-1... With something so easy to explain, why would you want to 'challenge' them?

sublime9182
09/12/2014, 09:45 PM
-1... With something so easy to explain, why would you want to 'challenge' them?

Principle.

saf1
09/12/2014, 10:28 PM
Principle.

Exactly. You are doing nothing wrong. You are using more power. "YOU" are also paying for it. When does it stop?

You want them to ask why you use so much more gas in your car when others driving equal distance use less? Do you want them to ask you why you don't eat 6 cups of fruit per day, or why you don't floss? Maybe why are you using disposable diapers when your neighbor is using cloth :(

It is up to you at the end of the day. If you are ok with your personal business out there, more power to you. I, on the other hand, would ignore it and ponder why they are looking at it to begin with. No one needs to know what books I check out from the library no more than how much power I use monthly.

I do agree with you though, it is easy to explain and they would probably get a kick out of it. But it is as sublime said. Principle. No more, no less.

HumbleFish
09/13/2014, 12:07 AM

+2 It amazes me how some freedom loving Americans are so quick to roll over to "the authorities" these days. Being in a position of authority doesn't necessarily make you a "good guy". History is littered with examples of this.

Xavibear
09/13/2014, 02:41 AM

It's not about challenging them. It's about making sure that your rights are respected. We are among the last people that will have experienced real privacy. It's ashamed that many are willing to give it up freely.

gbru316
09/13/2014, 04:42 AM

Did they ask you to explain?

Maybe it was just a heads up... as in, you might have a faulty appliance or teenager who is turning the thermostat down to 60 when you're not home.

Getting a letter saying they've noticed more energy usage than normal is hardly a violation of rights, especially since it's a letter from a corporation and not a government official.

tommyboynj
09/13/2014, 05:48 AM

I know of a couple of guys that had had knocks at the door. Both times, they moved into new neighborhoods and someone had called the cops because "the blue glow" coming from the house. Crazy. It's probably a lot harder for the cops to catch home growers these days because off LEDs. They probably don't see the power and heat signatures they used to so there's more need to follow up on calls from "concerned citizens".

albano
09/13/2014, 06:19 AM
Principle.

Exactly. You are doing nothing wrong. You are using more power. "YOU" are also paying for it. When does it stop?...

I do agree with you though, it is easy to explain and they would probably get a kick out of it. But it is as sublime said. Principle. No more, no less.

+2 It amazes me how some freedom loving Americans are so quick to roll over to "the authorities" these days. Being in a position of authority iodoesn't necessarily make you a "good guy".

It's not about challenging them. It's about making sure that your rights are respected. We are among the last people that will have experienced real privacy. It's ashamed that many are willing to give it up freely.

Good luck with your 'bra burning'...IMO, it is far better to choose your battles, this is not one.

ReefCowboy
09/13/2014, 06:48 AM
Just tell them you grow lots of pot in the rooms, and those plants need light 24/7

Wonton Soup
09/13/2014, 06:52 AM
Good luck with your 'bra burning'...IMO, it is far better to choose your battles, this is not one.

What battle? As pointed out, if you're paying your bill then it is nobody else's business. Also, who invites a police officer or power company employee over to their house to "prove" anything? Who cares about those peoples' opinions?

I certainly do not. I get similar letters all the time. I'm typically 99 or 98 out of 100 for most power used in my neighborhood.
I look at it as a thank you letter for buying so much of their product. I tell my wife all the time I'm shooting for number 100.

If a cop or someone from the power company came around asking to see why my living room glows blue or why my power usage is so high I'd shut the door in their face.

Dozer1one
09/13/2014, 06:58 AM
Lol he got a letter stating he uses more kilowatts then his neighbors, it's just a way of the electric company looking out for him.... Believe it or not, they do look out for people in some ways. If the police knock on your door thinking your making meth, then just tell them you have reef tanks and call it a day, I know it's none of their business, but if your neighbor WAS making meth, and the police found out and put an end to it all cause the ecectric company tipped them off, you'd say .............

Nina51
09/13/2014, 07:10 AM
you'd think this was the lounge, as quickly as this got off topic. the answer to tank's original question

How do I explain that to the Warden??? :)

is really quite simple. buy the warden stuff. lots and lots and lots of really cool stuff.

Payrion
09/13/2014, 07:19 AM
I got a letter last week, it was actually a flier showing my efficient neighbors usage, average neighbors usage and mine... It showed I was 25% above average. Went on to give me a web site about efficiency and if I wanted to talk to an expert they would put me in touch with local Havcr, Electrical, Plumbing companies.. My mom got one a few days later and so did my neighbor across the street.

dartier
09/13/2014, 07:24 AM
you'd think this was the lounge, as quickly as this got off topic. the answer to tank's original question

is really quite simple. buy the warden stuff. lots and lots and lots of really cool stuff.

I was just going to say the same thing. I don't think the OP is worried the ATF, NSA, DEA or any other 3 letter acronym come calling. I think he is worried about the 2 letter kind, SO, as in significant other. :lolspin:

Dennis

supervdl
09/13/2014, 07:29 AM
I have been getting these letters for years and been throwing them in the garbage with a big smile. I think they are required to promote conserving energy. Waiting for the environmentalist having a rally in front of my house.:lol:

Indymann99
09/13/2014, 07:31 AM
Principle.

+1 dont respond unless the letter is registered mail that you have to sign for...

If is is registered mail asking them to check your meter IS a good idea.

Make them get a Judge to issue warrant if they want to come inspect... FYI they are prob most concerned about you growing pot and depending on where you live more concerned you are not paying TAXES on the pot..

I would NOT invite them in and show them your tank... will bring up all sorts of follow-on questions.
Like how are you storing salt, Kalk, etc (they will classify it as a "chemical" and possibly say you are not zoned for the amounts you store in a home.
What do you do with WC water??? (they will classify that as chemical disposal)...
How do you dispose of Algae from your tank??? (invasive species and all that... )

Never assume that government officials are
1. educated enough to have common sense or use logic
2. in any way interested in anything that doesn't help them keep their job or get re-elected...

Japanese Proverb
出る釘は打たれる。Deru kugi wa utareru
English equivalent: The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

ElmoC
09/13/2014, 07:41 AM
+1 dont respond unless the letter is registered mail that you have to sign for...

Make them get a Judge to issue warrant if they want to come inspect...

All good points. However, this is not a police agency sending the letter, but a utility company. They cannot get warrants to search. They would have to file a complaint with the police and then it would be the police, not the power company, that would do the search.

saf1
09/13/2014, 08:59 AM
All good points. However, this is not a police agency sending the letter, but a utility company. They cannot get warrants to search. They would have to file a complaint with the police and then it would be the police, not the power company, that would do the search.

I see why to some people this isn't a issue. I don't know much about your family history but I do know mine, and I do know about the uniform I wore during my active duty days and I know about the uniform I wear on my active reserve weekends. I've had the chance to visit many a third world country and always glad I can come back to the good old crazy state of Ca.

As a home owner, single, with partner, family, kids, it is your responsibility anyway to review your power usage. If you are not comparing monthly and yearly use, you should. It is a good way to keep the power company in check, issues with your home, and of course quality of hvac. Doing this would alert you ahead of time anyway or at least allow you to zero in maybe to time of day use is higher than normal, etc. Pattern matching.

This isn't about black ops, helicopters, or anything else. Just a simple discussion to remind people that data is power. Anyone of us visiting any news site can see that for face value.

Nina51
09/13/2014, 09:07 AM
They would have to file a complaint with the police and then it would be the police, not the power company, that would dmoo the search.

not quite. they would have to call the police with a criminal complaint. the police would investigate and then turn over their reports to the prosecuting attorney. the prosecuting attorney would most likely laugh the police right out of his/her office unless he/she lives in mayberry and has nothing better to do.

a search warrant has to be issued by a judge, at the request of the prosecutor and that prosecutor had better have more probable cause that the power company being suspicious.

Bigkenny
09/13/2014, 09:16 AM
If you've received that letter then surly the local police department would also be aware, i personally would call and talk to a sergeant or captain let them know whats going on and offer to show them so your not woken up some morning by swat kicking in your door

Silvergryphon
09/13/2014, 09:55 AM
If you've received that letter then surly the local police department would also be aware, i personally would call and talk to a sergeant or captain let them know whats going on and offer to show them so your not woken up some morning by swat kicking in your door

LOL Not only would that be a PR nightmare for the department, but would likely net the recipient of the kicked down door a nice financial settlement. Hmmm... might be a good way to upgrade your tank!

HumbleFish
09/13/2014, 09:57 AM

This scenario is highly unlikely... but not unheard of.

Bigkenny
09/13/2014, 09:59 AM
This scenario is highly unlikely... but not unheard of.

Id rather be safe then sorry, granted the payday would be nice

http://www.kctv5.com/story/23951053/leawood-family-seeks-7-million-for-swat-style

woodnaquanut
09/13/2014, 10:31 AM
Interesting take on the letter. Big brother, black opps, police state, oh my!

I think the power companies, like water suppliers, warn their customers of unusual use. Perhaps there is some piece of equipment failing and using way too much power! Perhaps the meter is faulty.

Have them check your meter. If it is OK then ask for a volume discount!

:)

GroktheCube
09/13/2014, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if I got a knock on the door from the local popo one day. My time is pretty quiet, they really don't have much to do. I know I'd invite them up to see the tank. I love showing it off :p.

Breadman03
09/13/2014, 10:41 AM
If I'm using it, then it's not of their concern, but I've met a couple who got a letter and discovered that someone had run an extension cord from an exterior outlet to their own house.

I don't think they were the brightest bulbs in the box.

albano
09/13/2014, 10:43 AM
Have them check your meter. If it is OK then ask for a volume discount!

WHAT?... That's too easy... What about 'principle' and your rights as an American... Tell those storm trooper cops to drop dead, we don't need no stinking 'power use' advice!

:rolleyes:

HumbleFish
09/13/2014, 10:50 AM

If is is registered mail asking them to check your meter IS a good idea.

Make them get a Judge to issue warrant if they want to come inspect... FYI they are prob most concerned about you growing pot and depending on where you live more concerned you are not paying TAXES on the pot..

I would NOT invite them in and show them your tank... will bring up all sorts of follow-on questions.
Like how are you storing salt, Kalk, etc (they will classify it as a "chemical" and possibly say you are not zoned for the amounts you store in a home.
What do you do with WC water??? (they will classify that as chemical disposal)...
How do you dispose of Algae from your tank??? (invasive species and all that... )

Never assume that government officials are
1. educated enough to have common sense or use logic
2. in any way interested in anything that doesn't help them keep their job or get re-elected...

Japanese Proverb
出る釘は打たれる。Deru kugi wa utareru
English equivalent: The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

All excellent points! You invite police into your home, and next thing you know they will be asking about all this "white powder" (supplements) you have by the aquarium. Gotta confiscate all of that and get it tested by our lab! I'm gonna make Captain after this drug bust! :p

http://www.kctv5.com/story/23951053/leawood-family-seeks-7-million-for-swat-style

Years ago I would have been shocked by this... but sadly, not anymore. :(

snorvich
09/13/2014, 11:15 AM
The power company sent me a letter too. I changed power companies, saved a fair amount of money.

:celeb3:

dkeller_nc
09/13/2014, 11:26 AM
Actually folks, this is either a lot less sinister than it appears, or a lot more sinister depending on your political leanings.

Specifically, what the power company is doing is a bit of social engineering. The idea is that by informing a customer of his/her power usage in relation to their peers (neighbors), a competitive social-pressure environment can be created to reduce demand. For the power company, less per-capita demand means avoiding large capital expenditures to build new power plants.

Hilariously, this is the exact opposite of what was common-place 30 years ago, when the power companies would promote additional electrical consumption through "meter spin programs" (I'm not kidding - that's what they were called).

There's a T.E.D. talk on this very subject, but I unfortunately I can't seem to find it.

kalgra
09/13/2014, 11:33 AM
I'm almost certain they send a similar letter to everyone. I get the same letter at least every 3rd month or so. Right now I only run a 60 gallon with 1 250mh. We have no children and do nothing else to draw a lot of electricity even our appliances are gas so there is no way they can convince me I'm using twice as much as everyone else when my bill is only $100-$150 a month.

saf1
09/13/2014, 11:39 AM
Interesting take on the letter. Big brother, black opps, police state, oh my!

If that is directed at me re-read my post. While it may sound like your quote above, it isn't. I've clearly said it isn't about that at all. It is about privacy and information. Plain and simple until I'm breaking the law.

You live in California, right? Need I say anything about Enron or any of the other electrical traders? No, not directly tied to the OP's letter but my point still stands. Fair use, above use, or no use it doesn't matter. Home owners job to check their use. We don't need big brother to do it for us. We have already seen what they can do (hence my Enron comment).

How is that eye sore wind farm around Altmount and 580...

d2mini
09/13/2014, 01:27 PM
Wow, why did this thread turn so serious?
Some of you need to lighten up. :lol:

ktownhero
09/13/2014, 01:44 PM
On topic though, still don't see why they should care how much you use as long as you pay your bill. There is no law that limits how much you can use. If you can pay for it then that is it. Water, on the other hand, is another story.

They don't care. What they care about is if you are a drug dealer who bought a house, gutted it, and turned it into a weed farm. It happens. They are probably just covering their own behind and automatically send that letter out at a certain deviation above the norm in his area.

wild1
09/13/2014, 02:01 PM
I agree with saf1!+1:fish2:

saf1
09/13/2014, 02:04 PM
They don't care. What they care about is if you are a drug dealer who bought a house, gutted it, and turned it into a weed farm. It happens. They are probably just covering their own behind and automatically send that letter out at a certain deviation above the norm in his area.

Lighting would be different, not the power usage per say.

spamreefnew
09/13/2014, 02:38 PM
Yea total B/S. They send that letter to everyone. I got one and so did my 80 yr old neighbor who uses nothing but a lamp and ceiling fan lol. They just want you to THINK you are using more power than you should,and that way you run out and buy things like led light bulbs and shut off your air conditioning . It's all that "save the earth" B/S don't get me wrong,I am all about a healthy environment but let's face it,countries like china and India are using TONS of energy as they please,so why should we cut way back if he rest of he world is just going to keep doing what they are doing ? The earth was here way before humans and it will be here long after humans. Just my rant. Sorry.

Nina51
09/13/2014, 02:43 PM
next thing you know they will be asking about all this "white powder" (supplements)

don't laugh. twice in the last few months, we've had 2 cases of people being arrested for carrying a "look-a-like" substance. one of them was a woman who got stopped for speeding and ended up being taken to jail because of the little baggie of sugar she kept in her cup holder to use in her morning coffee. crazy but it happens.

albano
09/13/2014, 03:25 PM
it's all that "save the earth" b/s don't get me wrong,i am all about a healthy environment but let's face it,countries like china and india are using tons of energy as they please,so why should we cut way back if he rest of he world is just going to keep doing what they are doing ?

wow...

tdb320reef
09/13/2014, 03:44 PM
I get them all of the time. I called Detroit Edison and asked them to take the cost of printing and mailing and take if off of my 500/mo bill and stop sending me them. I have not received one for a while but did not receive the discount.

woodnaquanut
09/13/2014, 05:58 PM
If that is directed at me re-read my post.

Um. No it was not directed at you. There were several comments that fit the broad strokes I was trying to paint.

callsign4223
09/13/2014, 06:15 PM
This letter is sent as a service to the customer. They are trying to alert you to a possible issue with an appliance in your home. They are assuming that you should be about average and that if you are above average then you may have a malfunctioning appliance that is constantly running or an attic light you forgot about or something else along those lines. They are attempting to assist you in reducing your monthly bill. I work for a local city that provides water service and if we see an abnormally high water bill we send a warning letter informing the customer of it and suggesting that they look for leaky pipes or running toilets. My parents get this letter every spring when they refill their pool. Hey just ignore it because they know they don't have a leaky pipe, they just used 10,000 gallons to refill their pool.

Since you know you have a reef tank and didn't leave your attic light on ignore the letter.

Fibinotchi
09/13/2014, 06:29 PM
Man, you must have a lot of tanks or a big one. I think the letter is a nice thing to do. What if some neighbor was stealing power from you, or some device in your house wasn't working properly. I also appreciate that that information can at times lead to getting drug producers to where they belong.

What I can't understand is how people don't realize that in order to get the bad guys, the good guys have to be inconvenienced at times. You have to give up some of your so called freedom in order to keep criminals from taking your freedom's and victimizing you.

HumbleFish
09/13/2014, 07:12 PM
What I can't understand is how people don't realize that in order to get the bad guys, the good guys have to be inconvenienced at times. You have to give up some of your so called freedom in order to keep criminals from taking your freedom's and victimizing you.

But where do you draw the line? Who gets to decide? Actually, our forefathers drew a very clear line when they authored the Constitution and specifically, the Bill of Rights. These men knew what it had been like to live under the thumb of a large, oppressive govt. It's a shame their gift to us isn't being respected today.

Fibinotchi
09/13/2014, 07:19 PM
It's a big topic, but they didn't have all the problems we have now days. Technology has changed things. The amount of damage just a few individuals can inflict on a large number couldn't be foreseen. Things change and people have to adapt to the change. I'll bet the constitution would be a whole lot different if it was drafted by the people of this era. Who here is happy with the justice system?
By the way, I won't continue this conversation any further. Back to reefing.

Indymann99
09/13/2014, 07:33 PM
The power company sent me a letter too. I changed power companies, saved a fair amount of money.

:celeb3:

Where in the US do you have a choice of power companies... nowhere I have lived in 46 yrs.... it seems that local power, water, and sewage are the last bastions of monopoly.

zoomonster
09/13/2014, 08:28 PM
Some seem to be quite naïve about what the government can and will do regardless of what you think your rights are and privacy is non existent. When it comes down to it they can come crashing through your door pretty much anytime they please, wreck the place looking for whatever and leave with your house in shambles w/o so much as an apology. And I do believe there are those that will make sure they find something so they don't look like idiots.

I can tell you first hand it almost happened to me at my old home in NJ back early 2000. I found out about most of the details after the fact from a cop I had over for a garage break in. No electronic meters at the time but some combination of a meter reader and the utility company decided I must be running a grow house probably based on light, and energy consumption (trust me they have complex algorithms to search for consumption patterns i.e. halides on/off) and they notified the police. Apparently the only reason my door was not kicked down was a judge that actually believed in a thing called the constitution and despite repeated attempts would not approve the search warrant based on lack of probable cause. Had FLIR not already been declared unconstitutional they might have used it and gotten a warrant. I had also been followed for a period of time and my house was staked out (watching for traffic) looking for anything to get that warrant but it never happened and I guess they finally realized they were barking up the wrong tree. I was at the tail end of a divorce and my wife still had legal rights to the house. The cops badgered her repeatedly (that's when I first got wind of what was going on) to let them in the house but she didn't at least I suppose as a matter of principle and told them to get a warrant. She had told them I had aquariums but they just were not hearing it. Call me pig headed but even knowing I was clean I would not have let them in the house w/o a warrant (and they never asked me).

Several homes and a new wife later I live in FL. I downsized some to 2200 sq ft with land on a lake last January. Its hot/humid here the past few months and even with an 4 ton high efficiency AC it struggles to keep my house below 80 in the peak months. I work at home so we are here near 7/24. Needless to say the past couple months my E bill has sat between 500-550 (enough to bounce my budget up to $288). I looked up the FL avg. for those peak months and its only about $200. By rough calculation my aquarium runs about $50 a month but contributes heat. I needed it anyway but having the free energy inspection and $30 pressure test helped cover my *** from any surprise SWAT visits. Well until some half wit sees blue light coming from the house and calls the cops. Sad thing is it found no issues but the inspector did enjoy my tank :hmm5: Solar is definitely in my near future.

Do yourself a favor and ask not only for a meter inspection but also a free energy inspection if you get a letter regarding your energy usage.

shesacharmer
09/13/2014, 08:34 PM
Challenge them? They can go pound sand. Use as much power as you can pay for. They can mind their own business.

shesacharmer
09/13/2014, 08:45 PM

ha ha...give him a frag! :bounce3:

shesacharmer
09/13/2014, 08:47 PM
Where in the US do you have a choice of power companies... nowhere I have lived in 46 yrs.... it seems that local power, water, and sewage are the last bastions of monopoly.

We have just about the highest priced electricity in the Nation...if I'm not complaining why should they?

zoomonster
09/13/2014, 08:56 PM

They started that program I think in the late 90's (at least in the north east). Quite a joke actually... sure you could pick from a list of suppliers to generate your electricity and even pay more for environmentally friendly green mountain power. The catch was you were still saddled to your local monopoly electric company for transmission charges and service. Every month the "transmission" costs and other fees/taxes were far more than the actual energy.

mpsteve
09/13/2014, 09:00 PM
Do we really. I live in nh and I find it to be the same as when I was in mass. I'm on the mass border.

albano
09/13/2014, 09:15 PM
Challenge them? They can go pound sand. Use as much power as you can pay for. They can mind their own business.

Actually they are 'minding their own business'...

We have just about the highest priced electricity in the Nation...if I'm not complaining why should they?
Sooooo, you're NOT complaining?

treetopflyn
09/13/2014, 09:55 PM

I agree if you have nothing to hide show it off.

Sk8r
09/13/2014, 10:03 PM
We also got such a notice---but then all our neighbors work away from home: we work in a home office. That makes a difference, especially in the summer.

moondoggy4
09/13/2014, 10:05 PM
Tell them that you are a Al Gore in training.

snorvich
09/14/2014, 05:18 AM

Most/many places do have a choice. I live near a very large city and we have a primary provider (Commonwealth Edison) and several competitors. Our township (once per year) has the power providers bid to supply power (CE still has to meter it and bill for it) but it has also caused CE to lower rates to stay competitive.

cilyjr
09/14/2014, 06:46 AM
So I also get the energy usage report from national grid which is a comparison of me to my neighbors. Mine is also much higher. It's not really just my tank ( and pond) useing more power then my tankless neighbors. My neighborhood is all natural gas except me for some reason the last few owners never hooked up. So I have electrics range, hot water heater, and central ac.
I would ask the op to consider other factors when getting discouraged about an arbartiary report comparing you to the homes near you.

screamingibis
09/14/2014, 07:54 AM
My brother-in-law lives in an upscale neightborhood outside Atlanta, and the house right across the street was a grow house. Had a family living there, with kids playing and everything. Almost the whole house was gutted, upstairs, main floor and basement. They tapped around the meter. Maybe you should tap around the meter too. You could start a frag house.

sean-820
09/14/2014, 01:02 PM

Based on what the OP said, they may not of even been asking for an explanation of why he was using 80% more electricity. For all we know it could have been just a courtesy letter to let him know others in similar houses are using much less and that he may want to consider making his home more efficient.

cilyjr
09/14/2014, 04:03 PM
Based on what the OP said, they may not of even been asking for an explanation of why he was using 80% more electricity. For all we know it could have been just a courtesy letter to let him know others in similar houses are using much less and that he may want to consider making his home more efficient.

That's what I think it was. I get them every 3 months or so my neighbors do as well. I assume every national grid customer does.

Khemul
09/14/2014, 06:31 PM
Strangely enough, it is in the best interest of the power companies to help their customers keep the bill down. They don't operate by normal supply and demand. It gets a bit more complicated for them. To some extent, they want to keep usage down to a specific level, not too high and not too low. So they'll point out if they think a customer could save some money. But they also want to keep usage consistent. So they'll also point out if usage changes over time (or quickly). They're basically always trying to reach a balancing point where they aren't over producing but they are maximizing efficiency on the existing production. Expansion for them is a slow, expensive process so they have to plan for it.

TwistedMind
09/14/2014, 07:46 PM

Powertochoose.org

Texas baby, I have around 50 companies to choose who I buy my electricity from

Rob6311
09/14/2014, 08:57 PM
Lol Wait would the warden be a spouse or any type of "significant other"?

ucdcrew
09/14/2014, 08:59 PM
I got a nastygram for making RO water. Or at least I thought it was for making RO water. Turns out the meter was leaking. Now I'm afraid to make RO water because the utility mafia threatened to fine me $400 bucks if I use more than 75% of the water I used last year. I didn't live here last year.........Anyhow it looks like they're going to ease the restrictions and I should be good if I take a shower at the gym 2 days a week to offset water usage - and upgrade my RO.

JoelA7
09/15/2014, 12:02 AM
I get them too but it's not the tank it's the central air my wife has on Antarctic in order to help her hit flashes. ;-)

Indymann99
09/15/2014, 04:16 AM
Powertochoose.org

yeah.....

No plans found. Your zip code may not be in a service area open to competition

No plans found. Your zip code may not be in a service area open to competition.

No plans found. Your zip code may not be in a service area open to competition.

salty joe
09/15/2014, 05:02 AM
Principle.

Agreed.

albano
09/15/2014, 06:07 AM

It helps that the 'lower 48' states have only 3 power grids... 1 for the eastern 1/2, 1 for the western 1/2 and 1 for Texas.

Breadman03
09/15/2014, 08:17 AM
Strangely enough, it is in the best interest of the power companies to help their customers keep the bill down. They don't operate by normal supply and demand. It gets a bit more complicated for them. To some extent, they want to keep usage down to a specific level, not too high and not too low. So they'll point out if they think a customer could save some money. But they also want to keep usage consistent. So they'll also point out if usage changes over time (or quickly). They're basically always trying to reach a balancing point where they aren't over producing but they are maximizing efficiency on the existing production. Expansion for them is a slow, expensive process so they have to plan for it.

They have one serious issue to deal with, and that is spikes in demand. When people get home from work, fire up the laundry and start cooking dinner while the kids are playing PS4 on the big screen, demand is at a high peak, but then demand is very low at night. The utility companies need to be able to meet the demand at peak usage, but most of the capacity is wasted at night.

Compare it to driving a one ton dually every day to work because you need to haul some firewood a few times a year. It would be very costly to operate that large vehicle all the time just to use its capability on occasion.

This is also part of the drive behind smart meters. By charging higher rates during peak times, they encourage people to shift device usage toward off peak times. I don't have a smart meter, but I generally delay my dishwasher until about midnight just to enjoy a quiet evening.

SeedlessOne
09/15/2014, 09:41 AM
LOL some of these responses crack me up.

OP, just go on about your business. Not need to respond. Just pay your bill on time. There are tons of people that get these letters. No cops are going to show up at your door.

And for sure don't invite anyone over to your house. SMH, I cant believe some of you guys would even consider that.....

TwistedMind
09/15/2014, 10:36 AM
It helps that the 'lower 48' states have only 3 power grids... 1 for the eastern 1/2, 1 for the western 1/2 and 1 for Texas.

I recommend moving to Texas as the simplest solution to the communist buisness practices you are all talking about.

Why support a system you don't agree with?

Besides we have 5 major cities to choose from, over 700 miles of water front property, several pro sports teams,
Authentic Mexican food, awesome climate, palm trees, beaches, concealed carry, authentic Mexican food, and authentic Mexican food.

I think the choice is easy.

Oh yea, there are also 3 major oil fields so the jobs are available and pay awesome.

xtlosx
09/15/2014, 11:28 AM
tell them you're housing illegals, they'll send you a thank you letter.

shesacharmer
09/15/2014, 11:38 AM
Actually they are 'minding their own business'...

Sooooo, you're NOT complaining?

I'm not complaining that my choice to keep a reef tank means my electric bill is higher. My complaint is that a power company thinks they have the right to question our usage. If they think the meter is in error they should check it. They should be sending us thank you cards instead of SWAT teams or investigators.

kelrn98
09/15/2014, 12:00 PM
I am not sure if I have gotten "the letter" or not. Because my power bill is so nauseatingly high, I simply shred anything from the power company without opening. I know that's not too smart; kinda like the ostrich with its head in the sand. If I don't see it I don't have to feel the pain. Power bill is automatically drafted from my account along with water bill which I refuse to look at. I likely have the highest bill in town. I have my reef tank of course (DT, + 40b QT, 20g QT, and 10g QT up and running; a hot tub, 40,000 gal pool, and 3000 sf of Air-conditioning in the Deep South temps of 90-105 degrees. Yeah, I'm feeling sick right now just typing this.

And yet I still fuss at my son and husband about leaving the porch light on, lol!

coralsnaked
09/15/2014, 12:02 PM
:jester:

Must not use much electricity to begin with if that 75G doubles your bill! Much use MH w/ really old noisy converters. HUUUUUUUMMMMM!!!!!

Switch to LEDs:rollface:

Indymann99
09/17/2014, 07:58 PM
I'm not complaining that my choice to keep a reef tank means my electric bill is higher. My complaint is that a power company thinks they have the right to question our usage. If they think the meter is in error they should check it. They should be sending us thank you cards instead of SWAT teams or investigators.

+1

And I will throw back in their face..... So when it is January and snow is 10in and all roads are closed the pwr company will say the are using "estimated" usage.... So they decide to use JULY from the previous year.....

AcroporAddict
09/17/2014, 10:23 PM
I got a letter a letter from the water company a couple years ago telling me I should check for a leak because my water consumption was up by about 20%, which was a result of watering an over seeded, core aerated lawn, not a leak. Well, a couple weeks ago I found a leak in an outside pipe and fixed it, and just got my water bill for that period and it was $1380!!!, about 5 times normal use. And guess what, not a letter or a peep out of the water company.

I think I can get it adjusted down to a normal level and just sent in the request with receipts for materials used, but funny thing is I found the leak by accident when turning a shutoff valve and hearing water still rushing through it as I closed it when there should have been nothing, not by seeing water gushing or glowing somewhere outside, or a wet spot. Prolly thousands of gallons wasted and no physical evidence of the leak. All good now. I just hope I get the adjustment. They are pretty good about granting them.

Decadence
09/18/2014, 01:37 AM
I guess nobody else in this thread has actually had a SWAT team trash their house and pin down their family with automatic weapons drawn? Yeah… if me exchanging completely irrelevant text messages with somebody at a time when they were committing a crime (not known to me) was enough to get them a warrant and permission to do thousands of dollars in damage to my home and rough up my family, I can't imagine how quickly a judge would sign off a warrant to raid a house with high power consumption and a blue glow. You think you'll get a pay day for it.. You won't. They'll beat you up and press charges against you for "assaulting an officer". They're nothing but cowards - a gang of criminals hiding behind badges. They're going to do what they want and there is nothing that you can do about it. If you are ever actually in a situation where you feel that they suspect you of a crime and there is even the hint of a raid, clear up the air and avoid it.

Nina51
09/18/2014, 05:25 AM
wow. this really happened to you? i'm curious...were the charges against you dismissed?

DrBoxedWine
09/18/2014, 06:24 AM
Move to Colorado!

JohnniG
09/18/2014, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't say anything if it's not asked to reply if they did want a reply I would tell them and I pay 80% more too have a good day it's none of there business why your using more energy

Exactly? You pay for the electricity. What do they care.

albano
09/18/2014, 07:08 AM
...f they did want a reply I would tell them and I pay 80% more too have a good day it's none of there business why your using more energy
Good way to 'make a mountain out of a molehill'...
I'd hate to be in a car with you when you get stopped for a minor problem and decide to tell the police what your rights are!

Decadence
09/18/2014, 07:43 AM
wow. this really happened to you? i'm curious...were the charges against you dismissed?

Of course.. After spending a week in jail. They made me sign something that said I wouldn't press charges in order to be released. Bail was set at $100,000 so that wasn't an option.

They really don't care about whether or not you have actually committed a crime. They're so desensitized to the whole situation that extortion and coercion has become a tool to cover their backs, even from innocent victims.

DrBoxedWine
09/18/2014, 07:47 AM
This letter is sent as a service to the customer. They are trying to alert you to a possible issue with an appliance in your home. They are assuming that you should be about average and that if you are above average then you may have a malfunctioning appliance that is constantly running or an attic light you forgot about or something else along those lines. They are attempting to assist you in reducing your monthly bill. I work for a local city that provides water service and if we see an abnormally high water bill we send a warning letter informing the customer of it and suggesting that they look for leaky pipes or running toilets. My parents get this letter every spring when they refill their pool. Hey just ignore it because they know they don't have a leaky pipe, they just used 10,000 gallons to refill their pool.

Since you know you have a reef tank and didn't leave your attic light on ignore the letter.
Agreed, a former neighbor of mine got a notice that her water usage jumped way up. Turns out the automatic sprinklers she just had installed had a leak underground and was dumping a large amount of water. If they thought you were growing weed, they'd probably send the cops to inform you.

reefraider
09/18/2014, 01:33 PM
I have the solar on my house since 2006 because in California they have tiers for usage of electricity over the baseline. Which is the same for a apartment or for a house, with no adjustment for the number of people living there.
The swimming pool pumps love electricity So over half the usage was always in the top tier
Its just funny that just last month, with a tankless NG H2O heater and almost new, 3 yrs old central air and heater, also NG. I exceed the the Natural Gas (NG) baseline and get a surcharge in the middle of summer.
But hey that delayed maintenance isn't gonna kill anybody now is it PG&E.
Hey Decadence, I would've drop the ten k and sued the holly criminal out of them but I feel your pain. In fact the involvement was them calling me say a truck had run over my garage ( also fish sump room ) but they had to run. wt???

SeedlessOne
09/18/2014, 03:53 PM
I guess nobody else in this thread has actually had a SWAT team trash their house and pin down their family with automatic weapons drawn? Yeah… if me exchanging completely irrelevant text messages with somebody at a time when they were committing a crime (not known to me) was enough to get them a warrant and permission to do thousands of dollars in damage to my home and rough up my family, I can't imagine how quickly a judge would sign off a warrant to raid a house with high power consumption and a blue glow. You think you'll get a pay day for it.. You won't. They'll beat you up and press charges against you for "assaulting an officer". They're nothing but cowards - a gang of criminals hiding behind badges. They're going to do what they want and there is nothing that you can do about it. If you are ever actually in a situation where you feel that they suspect you of a crime and there is even the hint of a raid, clear up the air and avoid it.

Sorry, but there is more to this story.

No need to respond to the power company. Its your business. Just pay your bill.

SeedlessOne
09/18/2014, 03:54 PM
Agreed, a former neighbor of mine got a notice that her water usage jumped way up. Turns out the automatic sprinklers she just had installed had a leak underground and was dumping a large amount of water. If they thought you were growing weed, they'd probably send the cops to inform you.

This...... ^^^^

Decadence
09/18/2014, 04:33 PM
Sorry, but there is more to this story.

No need to respond to the power company. Its your business. Just pay your bill.

Yup, more to the story... Friend broke into a vehicle belonging to a police officer. I had no idea, he came from a good family and was going to law school. The cop lied and said that his uniform and badge as well as a host of other made-up crap was stolen in order to get a bigger investigation out of it. Everybody he talked to that night got their houses raided one-by-one including myself and two mutual friends. The list for the warrant included many ridiculous items including matching Rolex watches, a $20,000 ring, $10,000 cash, etc...

The cop lied to make sure that the person who broke into his car both had his life ruined and lost all of his friends. It worked. It's cool though, the cop got back his $75 GPS unit which was the only thing actually stolen.

/protect and serve

LAX Reef
09/18/2014, 04:57 PM
Do they put you on different tier for usuage?

sublime9182
09/18/2014, 05:08 PM
Yup, more to the story... Friend broke into a vehicle belonging to a police officer. I had no idea, he came from a good family and was going to law school. The cop lied and said that his uniform and badge as well as a host of other made-up crap was stolen in order to get a bigger investigation out of it. Everybody he talked to that night got their houses raided one-by-one including myself and two mutual friends. The list for the warrant included many ridiculous items including matching Rolex watches, a $20,000 ring, $10,000 cash, etc...

The cop lied to make sure that the person who broke into his car both had his life ruined and lost all of his friends. It worked. It's cool though, the cop got back his $75 GPS unit which was the only thing actually stolen.

/protect and serve

Welcome to the police state.

SeedlessOne
09/18/2014, 07:21 PM
Welcome to the police state.

Jesus. Remind me not to visit.
\I thought GA was bad.

Gann810
09/18/2014, 07:48 PM
I live in Michigan. And also had a home comparison paper sent to my house do my bills being higher than the average
Shortly after that I received another letter offering to come do a free home energy analysis, so I did allow them to come and then they were done they were able to tell me the amount of air exchange in the house. Actual efficiency of furnace. My house actually had all led fixtures inside and outside But when they checked my new hot tub they found it had a problem with stray voltage
But I will say when it was all done I needed more insolation and offered interest free options
I believe in privacy But I also believe if you live a transparent life you have nothing to hide

trae
09/18/2014, 07:52 PM
+2 It amazes me how some freedom loving Americans are so quick to roll over to "the authorities" these days. Being in a position of authority doesn't necessarily make you a "good guy". History is littered with examples of this.

I agree 100% I got my reasons.. The only reply should be, "sir/Maam, you just killed a tree by sending me this, instead of just verifying the meter for me".

JamesHolt
09/19/2014, 01:27 AM
Wish I would have got a letter when a fitting cracked on my well pump, causing it to run 24/7. All I got was two months bills totaling $1100. Was two weeks into second month when the fitting failed completely causing the pump to fall down in the well. There went another $400

coralsnaked
09/19/2014, 07:25 AM
Hey you guys ever heard of a good lawyer. PM me and I will be happy to make referrals in your local areas. Unless of course this is a bunch of hyped up BS just to have something to contribute to the thread!

Selt1018
09/19/2014, 08:24 AM
Tell them 'These are not the lights your looking for' then pull a Jedi Mindtrick and walk away while they are standing there completely confused.

RJT
09/19/2014, 08:33 AM

/protect and serve

What county did this happen?

albano
09/19/2014, 08:53 AM
Tell them 'These are not the lights your looking for' then pull a Jedi Mindtrick and walk away while they are standing there completely confused.

Much better advise, than most have offered!

HumbleFish
09/19/2014, 09:14 AM

I'm very sorry to hear that you and your family were subjected to this.

HumbleFish
09/19/2014, 09:29 AM
Some seem to be quite naïve about what the government can and will do regardless of what you think your rights are and privacy is non existent. When it comes down to it they can come crashing through your door pretty much anytime they please, wreck the place looking for whatever and leave with your house in shambles w/o so much as an apology. And I do believe there are those that will make sure they find something so they don't look like idiots.

The problem is many are still living in the past. Or they are complacent, or too busy/consumed by their own lives to realize what's going on. If it doesn't happen to me or directly impact my life in some way, then it's just words on a screen or a TV reporter talking. Then you've got the old timers (like my dad), who spent most of his life serving in one way or another. I don't know if it's that he just can't comprehend what's happening, because it's so different than what things were like during "his time". Or he's just too hurt/heart broken to face the truth.

ktownhero
09/19/2014, 10:17 AM

/protect and serve

If you sleep with dogs, you'll get fleas. I'm sorry to hear about your story, but you have to recognize that. If you have friends that are involved with crime and are being investigated, why would you not expect that you might one day be considered as being a possible accomplice to their crimes? That's how criminals work, lol. I understand that you didn't know or have any reason to suspect that this individual might do something like that, but the police don't know that. For all you know, he might have tied you to the crime in ways you aren't even aware of. Be mad at your friend, not the government. Tell him to pay for all of the damage (physically and emotionally) that was caused by his actions. Maybe also consult a lawyer, because I doubt that "sign your right to sue us away or stay in jail" holds up in court. A contract isn't a contract if it's forced upon you.

Anyway, this thread has gotten so out of hand. There's really nothing major going on here except the power company sending a courtesy letter.

ktownhero
09/19/2014, 10:21 AM
The problem is many are still living in the past. Or they are complacent, or too busy/consumed by their own lives to realize what's going on. If it doesn't happen to me or directly impact my life in some way, then it's just words on a screen or a TV reporter talking. Then you've got the old timers (like my dad), who spent most of his life serving in one way or another. I don't know if it's that he just can't comprehend what's happening, because it's so different than what things were like during "his time". Or he's just too hurt/heart broken to face the truth.

This is a very easy, convenient thing to say. Conspiracies are the easy way out of a complex world.

The reality is that social media and mass-communication have dramatically changed all of our exposure to everything that happens in the world. We see 10 stories about people's rights being violated and it seems overwhelming and scary, but we forget that there are 7 billion people on this planet and 10 stories is nothing. Those things all happened before, maybe even worse, we just weren't aware of it. It's not complacency, it's simply keeping things in perspective. And, don't get me wrong, I agree with you on some of this. I just think it's important to reign in the "everybody is dumb and we're all doomed" mentality and recognize it for what it is.

HumbleFish
09/19/2014, 10:50 AM
This is a very easy, convenient thing to say. Conspiracies are the easy way out of a complex world.

No conspiracy theory. Just folks not keeping up with the changing times and forgetting lessons that history has already taught us. You can be free or you can enjoy the illusion, the "feeling" of total safety - but you can't have both.

The reality is that social media and mass-communication have dramatically changed all of our exposure to everything that happens in the world. We see 10 stories about people's rights being violated and it seems overwhelming and scary, but we forget that there are 7 billion people on this planet and 10 stories is nothing. Those things all happened before, maybe even worse, we just weren't aware of it. It's not complacency, it's simply keeping things in perspective. And, don't get me wrong, I agree with you on some of this. I just think it's important to reign in the "everybody is dumb and we're all doomed" mentality and recognize it for what it is.

From my way of thinking, being made more aware of a problem should only deepen the resolve to remedy it. But you do have to pick & choose which problems are fixable. You can't fix people or alter the behavior of individuals - they have to do that for themselves (or suffer the consequences). However, when you see a group or organization trampling over the rights of others - that's fixable.

ktownhero
09/19/2014, 11:19 AM
No conspiracy theory. Just folks not keeping up with the changing times and forgetting lessons that history has already taught us. You can be free or you can enjoy the illusion, the "feeling" of total safety - but you can't have both.

From my way of thinking, being made more aware of a problem should only deepen the resolve to remedy it. But you do have to pick & choose which problems are fixable. You can't fix people or alter the behavior of individuals - they have to do that for themselves (or suffer the consequences). However, when you see a group or organization trampling over the rights of others - that's fixable.

I don't disagree with you, I was just taking issue with how you were conveying it. It's not realistic for everybody to care about everything. It's impossible and trying can drive you nuts (literally and figuratively). My point was that we're exposed to EVERYTHING now and, for better and worse, we have to choose our battles.

HumbleFish
09/19/2014, 11:29 AM
I would just like to offer this advice to any American who might find themselves in jail, despite knowing they are innocent of the charges being leveled against them:

DO NOT take the easy way out. Do not accept a plea deal, or talk to anyone about your case except your lawyer. Do not agree to anything without out first consulting a lawyer. If you can afford it, hire your own attorney (most - but not all - public defenders are worthless). Stay calm, and maintain your composure at all times, even in the face of great adversity. Dig in your heels and be prepared for a long fight.

You still have rights! You just have to know how to use them.

albano
09/19/2014, 11:32 AM
I would just like to offer this advice to any American who might find themselves in jail, despite knowing they are innocent of the charges being leveled against them:

DO NOT take the easy way out. Do not accept a plea deal, or talk to anyone about your case except your lawyer. Do not agree to anything without out first consulting a lawyer. If you can afford it, hire your own attorney (most - but not all - public defenders are worthless). Stay calm, and maintain your composure at all times, even in the face of great adversity. Dig in your heels and be prepared for a long fight.

You still have rights! You just have to know how to use them.

I was hoping that you would run out of blue ink!

HumbleFish
09/19/2014, 11:55 AM
I was hoping that you would run out of blue ink!

I did - temporarily. ;) Thank you for the plug by quoting me! :dance:

Indymann99
09/21/2014, 07:34 PM
BUMP... we started with a letter from the power company... ended with blue ink... not acceptable... need more. :D

Ztrain
09/23/2014, 06:38 PM
you just killed a tree by sending me this, instead of just verifying the meter for me".

LOL this just reminded me that at work the management panel for our building wide print manger keeps track of how many tree's we've used.

falcona2552
09/23/2014, 08:33 PM
principle.

+1

GreshamH
09/24/2014, 02:43 PM
If you sleep with dogs, you'll get fleas. I'm sorry to hear about your story, but you have to recognize that. If you have friends that are involved with crime and are being investigated, why would you not expect that you might one day be considered as being a possible accomplice to their crimes? That's how criminals work, lol. I understand that you didn't know or have any reason to suspect that this individual might do something like that, but the police don't know that. For all you know, he might have tied you to the crime in ways you aren't even aware of. Be mad at your friend, not the government. Tell him to pay for all of the damage (physically and emotionally) that was caused by his actions. Maybe also consult a lawyer, because I doubt that "sign your right to sue us away or stay in jail" holds up in court. A contract isn't a contract if it's forced upon you.

And just what basis did the cops have to search his house? He called a guy? Sorry, that is not "just cause" to raid someones house. That is called fishing....

09/24/2014, 06:56 PM
SOme building codes allow flimsy 1/2 plywood that will not support the weight of panels

CoralBeauty13
09/25/2014, 01:05 AM
My sisters bill went up from average $179 a month to well over $400. She complained many times as she had to pay the bill regardless or they would cut the power off. It wasn't until she got her cable bill and saw some adult movies that had been purchased. She called the cable company and when she complained, they asked her how can she make a call to them when she just ordered a movie not even ten minutes ago trying to deny the charges . The cable company came out a saw she had been tapped into on the post. Along with that , they saw the lines running to one house, called the police and the Family there got busted. The electric company came out after she explained what happened and gave the Police case number...sure enough he tapped into that also. So, Sometimes they are looking out, other times...they are "looking" out !

Remmers
09/25/2014, 05:05 AM
I have got the letter before and I'm at 100%

Between the a/c running non stop from April till October ( cant open the windows due to allergies) the pool, having 4 kids who watch tv play games and leave the lights on, running multiple tanks, I cant complain.

If having a high electrical bill is the worst thing I have to deal with every month, I'm doing pretty good.

Plus I called and was put on a budget plan, so no matter what the bill is the same every month. So In the winter, when the bill would be way less, it makes up for having those high bills in the summer.

mayjong
09/25/2014, 09:18 AM
until you stop paying the bill, they can pound sand as far as i'm concerned...

kc350twin
09/26/2014, 03:01 PM
I get this letter every month. I'm consistently higher.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/26/6b3df9e6445289d09c8dea4af9d4db68.jpg

kc350twin
09/26/2014, 04:44 PM
Tapatalk pics not showing up.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/26/ae6b6d90592b1aa7ed31c0186b32afc6.jpg