PDA

View Full Version : CUC for aggressive tank?

xkon
09/12/2014, 05:10 PM
I have a 60gallon tank cycling right now. I plan on a jeweled moray eel and dwarf lion fish. So I have a few questions:

Can I get a clean up crew with this stocking list? If so what should I specifically look at getting?

If not, should I start stocking with the lion and eel when ammonia and nitrites reach zero? The ammonia is almost at zero but the nitrites are still rising.

So once there are only nitrates, do a water change and add the CUC if you guys say it is okay then wait a few weeks to stock the others?

Thanks for all the help guys

arashsheikhpoor
09/13/2014, 12:37 AM
Maybe a long spine sea urchin? My dwarf never touched my hermits or snails.

kw22
09/13/2014, 02:40 AM
I would get some kind of urchin and see how a couple snails and hermits get on.

xkon
09/13/2014, 04:02 PM
I was thinking about an urchin of some sort. So you guys would recommend getting the urchin before the eel and lion fish then correct? What kind of species snails would you suggest? any thoughts on a cowrie?

kw22
09/14/2014, 02:47 AM
Urchins need established tanks.I would add in the lionfish first,then the long spine urchin and lastly the eel.But that's just my opinion.

For snails,the cowrie can be a hit and miss as far as I know.

I think nassarius snails would be good option.I would get a small group

Netrite snails are another good option,throw in a few of them and 4-6 blue legged hermits

That's what I would do,but others may disagree.I would wait for some other opinions too :)

I had to edit due to spelling mistakes - sent from iphone.

xkon
09/14/2014, 08:55 PM
Cool appreciate it. With the CUC should I add some additional food such as sinking pellets to the tank as there would be no other fish that would have left over food for them to eat or what is in the tank would be enough(if there is anything)?

kw22
09/15/2014, 12:50 AM
Good question :)

I am not sure on others opinions,but I would personally add in as little algae wafer and maybe some meaty sinking foods every week or two.This will increase your ammonia and nitrates.

namxas
09/15/2014, 09:40 AM
We don't feed our algae-eating snails, but I do target feed the hermits and Nassarius every so often.

HTH