PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Stand Progect

buffalo_dives
09/12/2014, 09:11 PM
I thought that I would add this. I am a bit new here but thought that this would be a good place to post pictures of the Stand that I am building for my 90 Gallon mixed reef tank that I will be setting up as soon as I am finished with the stand. Any feedback would be appreciated.

It is 48 1/2" x 24" x 36" with a 12" tall canopy on 6" wide rear uprights to hide my Glass Holes Overflow and Return and plumbing.

I made it with 3"x3"x36" oak posts for the 4 corner's directly under the tanks corners. With 1/2" oak plywood for the top, sides, inside, uprights and canopy top. The front was made of 1 x 6 red oak and all the bracing under the stand, top and rear canopy supports were made of 1 x 4 red oak. The doors and canopy sides were made of 1 x 3 red oak and 1/4" oak plywood.

I know that it may be a bit overkill for a 90 gallon tank but it looks professional and gives me extra room under the stand for my sump, calcium reactor, media reactor, skimmer, plumbing and everything needed to run the tank. Also makes it much easier to clean out the skimmer cup.

buffalo_dives
09/12/2014, 09:14 PM
Here are a few more pictures

billdogg
09/13/2014, 03:59 AM
Very nice! The stand for my 150 is very similar, although I need to rebuild the canopy because it's just too darn heavy.

buffalo_dives
09/13/2014, 04:05 PM
Thank you.. I was worried about that myself. That's why I did it with the 1 x 3's and 1/4" plywood for the front and the sides. The 1/2" plywood on the top is 48 1/4" x 24" and the weight on it's not bad at all.

Sinclair81
09/18/2014, 10:43 AM
Looks nice, what are you going to do for your door?
Jim

buffalo_dives
09/18/2014, 09:28 PM
I have a picture of one of the doors in the second set of pictures in the middle. I will be posting more pictures over the weekend. I have it finished and am setting it up tomorrow and Saturday.

In fact that brings me t a question. Can anyone tell me the best way to run the plumbing? I have a Glass Holes 1500 overflow that has 1 1/2' drains but my Eshoppes sump has 1". So should I reduce the size at the overflow or increase the size at the sump?