PDA

View Full Version : Fighting conch new & not moving

pktech
09/14/2014, 01:14 PM
Picked up a fighting conch today & did a 20 minute float / drip acclimation. Do they just kind of sit for a while? It was active @ the LFS & has retracted into his shell. Antinics are on & there are a few snails & hermits in the tank so I know the parameters are in line.

Just curious as I don't want to pick it up stress it to check if it's alive. Basically are they hardy in your opinion?

Thanks!

sam.basye
09/15/2014, 08:06 AM
I had a fighting conch that was great until it was murdered :( Some days it would just sit like you described in your thread, other days it would stay buried in the sand, and most of the time it would roam the tank munching on all the sand keeping it tidy. Great and interesting little addition IMO. One of my baby giant horse conchs killed it (1.5"). I also have a couple hermits, but they wont attack the conch unless its half dead and vulnerable. Other than the horse conchs (not actual conchs) killing every other snail in the tank if able...the fighting conchs are relatively hardy from what I've gathered.

pagojoe
09/15/2014, 11:34 PM
They are often unpredictable when you introduce them to your tank, but they aren't terribly difficult to acclimatize. I've seen lots of them dropped in the tank with no special treatment, and none of them died.

Cheers,

Don

pktech
09/16/2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys - it's alive & has only moved a few inches from where I placed him, so I'll keep an eye on it. I was hoping he'd be cruising around in the sandbed . Maybe in time.