PDA

View Full Version : Best stuff for my canister?

martinresi
09/17/2014, 01:04 AM
I just swapped out media from my canister filter for the first time and wanted some advice or just to see if I’m on the right track. Tank is about 4 months old and the canister came used, already operating at a LFS (including the media). It came with 2 layers of carbon mixed with some sort of white beads, a layer of bioballs, and a layer of ceramic rings. I haven’t replaced anything in the 4 months, just cleaned it. Today, I added 1 layer of activated carbon (1/2 cup total), took out 1 layer of carbon/beads (kept the other one), removed half the bioballs, and half the ceramic rings. My thoughts were to eventually remove everything except for the 1/2 cup carbon sacs. So far my phosphates are low and I was thinking adding live rock wasn't the best idea. I was thinking I have enough live rock in the DT and spreading out the nitrogen cycle to include confined areas where nitrogen gas can’t escape might do more harm than good or would just be overkill. It seemed strange to leave the rest of the canister empty but do you think this the best way for me to go?

Tank is 45 gal mixed reef, 50 lbs live rock, 1” fine sand, skimmer, Fluval 404 Canister, blue hippo, 2 clowns, bangaii cardinal, royal gramma, hi fin goby, 3 barnacle blennies, 1 cleaner and 1 pistol shrimp, and a coco worm.