PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to get back into the hobby - Questions

restoexpress
09/17/2014, 08:26 AM
I first started this hobby back in 2005, had my ups and downs reef tank came down in 2011 due to job loss, and mainly the GF wanted the extra closet :-(
(was an in wall tank)

everything that was in the tank was given away, as well as the tank itself along with the stand and some equipment. I have lights, a 75 gallon tank, a 55 Refugium, a 30/33/36 gallon forget which exactly, and a 20 gallon. and 140-160 LBS of "live" rock

my main concern, i have had the "live" rock sitting outside (in Wisconsin) since august of 2011 tucked against my house under the eve, what should i do to get it ready? Im worried that maybe some chemicals may have leached into the rock from the shingles, though the water does not fall directly onto the rock. Will a good rinse do it then a fresh water soak for a few weeks changing the water every other day with a few power heads going? im hoping im overly worried about the condition of the "live" rock.

Also skimmer suggestions would be appreciated, will have a 75 gallon display, a 55 gallon refugium , and the 30/33/36 gallon to house the skimmer and other equipment. with sand and rock displacing a good portion (as i plan on buying more dry rock) will be ~110-120 gallons? of total water volume. will only have smaller fish reef safe wrasse(s) blenny, pseodochromis, a mandarin (a year or more after cycle), etc. SPS, LPS, a clam or 2 and zoa's. hoping to keep the price below $400 but can go to 450-ish

Also, besides G.A.R.F. grunge, is there any other activator to buy?
or is that the best choice?

Thanks in advance

-Ted