PDA

View Full Version : Vortech placement & tank....

ptreef
09/17/2014, 11:54 AM
tank is 66 x 36 x 24.
SPS dominate and growing in good!

Currently have a CLS with ~ 4000+ gph. And have 2 jebo's pushing another ~3200gph each

I am looking to swap out the jebos with some vortech's

With the layout of the rock work I can put up to 2 mp 40's on the back(possibly 3) and shoot forward and not blast corals directly.
But i do have sand so not sure how that will work as it hits the front glass. 40's flow maybe weak at front after traveling 36"?? Thoughts

Trying to keep the look as clean as possible and not have them very noticeable.

2 40's on back
2 40's on back & one 40 or 60 on the side?
or 3 40's on back?

Should I run them reefcrest probably. Don't want wave, just good random flow!

CrookedStick
09/17/2014, 01:40 PM
I would skip the vortech's and wait for the WAV from Neptune Systems.
I would place them on the back of the tank and tilt them the direction you want them.

Remember to take back the sides of your tank from the clutter of Ecotech pumps and regain them for your unobstructed viewing!

ptreef
09/17/2014, 03:45 PM
Well the wave looks to be a corded vortech with more size and small flexibility. Not exactly what I'm looking for. For that I'll keep my jebaos rw-15

The info it provides seems nice , but not really what I want to monitor additionally to everything else.

CoralsAddiction
09/17/2014, 07:46 PM
Vortechs are pretty unnoticeable. Feel free to try it out in the back and the sides of the tank. See how your corals react. If polyp extension is good then you got it right.

myram
09/18/2014, 04:36 AM
Not to mention that the WAV will only work with the Apex system.

ViktorVaughn
09/18/2014, 07:57 AM
I would skip the vortech's and wait for the WAV from Neptune Systems.
I would place them on the back of the tank and tilt them the direction you want them.

Remember to take back the sides of your tank from the clutter of Ecotech pumps and regain them for your unobstructed viewing!

To me, the "clutter of Ecotech pumps" is quite minimal as compared to a Jebao, Tunze, or similar pump. I'd much rather see half the pump outside the tank then the entire assembly, wires and all, inside the tank. I also really like the peace of mind I have with no chance of voltage leaking in my tank from powerheads.

As to the placement and sand movement I think you'll be fine assuming you mount them high enough. I get very little sand blowing when my mp10's reach their max flow in reefcrest mode and they are only 10-12" away from the sand. My tank is 36" long and even when I was only running one mp10, I'd get awesome polyp movement and strong flow on the opposite end (36" away).

By the way, those dimensions sound awesome. Was it a custom tank? Who is the manufacturer?

ptreef
09/18/2014, 08:08 AM
Victor. Thanks for the input. I plan to mount them about 6-8" under water surface on back wall to start. I too hate seeing anything in my tank other than fish and corals. Hence why i started with a CLS. However it's just not enuf for loaded sps dominate tank.

Yeah it was custom made by Midwest custom aquariums. It's 3/4" acrylic with external coast to coast style overflow. I love the 36" depth for openness

RVANANO
09/18/2014, 08:15 AM
I would do two MP40's on the back wall. I have a peninsula 270 tank and I have two MP40's on the very back. About at the half way mark vertically. Since they are on my 36" end, I have them placed about 8" from each side of the tank (20" or so b/t them).

ptreef
09/18/2014, 08:21 AM
I would do two MP40's on the back wall. I have a peninsula 270 tank and I have two MP40's on the very back. About at the half way mark vertically. Since they are on my 36" end, I have them placed about 8" from each side of the tank (20" or so b/t them).

what are your tank dimensions? 72x 36 x 22? What do you run the pumps setting? Anything else for flow? SPS or mixed reef? Any pics or build thread?

Thanks;)

d2mini
09/18/2014, 08:22 AM
I have 2 40's on the back wall too. You can hardly seem them.
They will push a lot of your sand back from the front glass though, if you turn them up.
I have 60's on the sides, so the 40's on the back wall are turned down quite a bit just for some extra flow.

ptreef
09/18/2014, 08:34 AM
I have 2 40's on the back wall too. You can hardly seem them.

Thats the plan!

2 on the back and the CLS hopefully is plenty....

I seem to have good flow with the CLS and 2 Jebao's (wp-40)
Just looking to go as stealthy as possible. I can always add another along the back or side I guess later if needed.

RVANANO
09/18/2014, 11:44 AM
Here is my build. 6'x3'x2'. You can also see my previous 120 reef. I only had 1 MP40 in there for 3 years and the tank was amazing.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2378781

You can't see the MP40's in my photos and I only added the second this past weekend. My tank is peninsula so they push water along the 6 ft length therefore I don't have any issues with sand pushing away. I keep mine on reef crest with a max of 80%. I also run them in anti-sync mode. My tank is still new but will be mixed reef with mostly SPS. That's all I am using in addition to my return pump.