PDA

View Full Version : Sump flow ideas appreciated

JohnnyRedd
09/18/2014, 12:27 AM
125 gal DT. 1100 gph pump. 1 inch pipe. Just started water flowing and the cycle on Sunday. Testing out my first sump/fuge design and...

The sump is 48 inches long, foot wide and foot tall. Return is in the center.

Overflow on the left has a ball valve in it for flow restriction. Turned back about a third. The chamber is 6 inches wide and has an 8 inch over and 1 inch taller under which is an inch away from the first. (inch tall inch wide bubble trap) Both baffles are 8 inches so 1 is 8 inches tall and the other 9. 12 inches later is another over/under of the same dimensions, then the return. This side is flowing great. The ball valve is to slow flow for the refugium.

Right side is unrestricted. It is also the same 6 inch wide chamber with an 8 inch tall over. Water flows over its 9 inch "under" piece a bit. This is carrying micro bubbles into this chamber.

Potential solutions:

A. Raise the "under" piece to force water under the bubble trap. When I have simulated this with another piece of acrylic it seems to give the desired result.

B. Eliminate this first bubble trap. Make it one big chamber and keep the bubble trap at the end of this chamber (going into the return chamber) since all that is in this one is (will be) a skimmer and rubble.

Everything flows as desired except for the right side being overwhelmed at the overflow.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated. I hope this is not too confusing, its harder to describe than I originally envisioned. :wildone:

uncleof6
09/18/2014, 03:41 PM
Well the problem is the drains are flowing more water than they are capable of handling without problems. You are probably using 1" dursos, with which the lamainar flow rate is around 50gph each. You have one restricted which is a definite no no, and that is why it is not causing you as much problem as the one on the right.

A tank this size needs a siphon drain system, in the first place.

As far as the sump is concerned both drain lines should flow into the same sump compartment, aka the skimmer section. which in turn flows into the return section. The "fuge" section I assume at the other end, should be fed by a branch in the main return line, not a drain line. Do not put valves or other restrictions in the drain lines.

One bubble trap between the skimmer section and return section, and your problems will clear up, provided, you deal with the issue of the drains producing bubbles and other problems....