PDA

View Full Version : Help? Finger leather

BeccaScott
09/18/2014, 09:34 PM
I have a HUGE beautiful finger leather in my 29 nano.
Its blocking light from everything else and I need to frag it.

Problem is I've never done it before and need advise. Another problem I have is that its on a rock that is a base rock for the rest of my aqua scape that is also covered with other soft corals. So it's pretty much impossible to take it out of the tank.

Few more questions I have...
When I cut it how will it grow back?
I realize it'll look butchered after I cut it but will it always look like I cut it?

Fish Ed
09/19/2014, 04:19 AM
Cut it in the tank. Might get slimy, just siphon it out.
It'll grow back when it's cut. Don't worry it'll just look severed for a few days. Then the leathery meat/skin/whatever it is will grow over the wound. Eventually it'll look like it hasnt even been cut and well those finger shapes will grow back as well.

BeccaScott
09/19/2014, 10:11 AM
Should I do a water change right after?

Fish Ed
09/19/2014, 05:05 PM
Eh, not necessary. You could if you wish to, usually there's no harm not doing so especially when you have a protein skimmer.
Just siphon out the slime, itll be visible.

dmatt56
09/29/2014, 05:46 PM
I cut my Green Tyree Toad regularly in the tank - 1 or 2 cuts per frag session.

Titans_Reef
09/30/2014, 04:56 AM
You can run carbon after you frag it in your tank. I got 3 huge spagetti finger corals that are about 2ft in diameter when fully open and I keep on seeing the tips broken off but its because my tangs hit it, expecially my hippo. I have small leathers all over my tank which I just get a rubber band and place it on a small rock and in a week they take hold of it.