PDA

View Full Version : Five Years Of Fighting Red Slime

Dan_P
09/19/2014, 12:44 PM
This is a review of almost five years of Reef Central posts that were retrieved with the search term "red slime". The first plot below shows the monthly total number of posts from January 2010 to Septembe 2014. These monthly totals are actually based on the "latest post" which was a short cut for counting. This introduces some error because there is the occasional post that goes beyond a one month duration. Also, I did not find and remove the occasional vendor post that were included in the search results. With those caveats in mind, the plot shows that red slime remains a popular topic.

There has been the occasional claim that red slime attacks are seasonal. If there is a connection between when red slime appears in the aquarium and posting a request for help, then we might see a peak in the monthly posts during the purported "cyano season". The second plot does seem to show a peak in the monthly posts. Peak location is approximate because of the above caveats about the data and an aquarist might not post until after red slime has expanded And because experienced aquarist are less likely to request help dealing with red slime, the data is also likely to be biased toward new aquarists and new aquariums. Interesting all the same.

"What we recommend" to fight red slime is shown in the third chart. These are tactics recommended by members who submitted responses. There is likely to be some double counting because the same members respond to multiple requests for help. The data is also biased in another way. Not everyone in the forum responds. The data likely reflects the tactics of the vocal minority, though it is consistent with the information found in books and online articles. The fourth chart clarifies the data further by combining similar tactics under the recommendation heading "reduce nutrients". This aggregated tactic becomes the most recommended tactic to fight red slime.

Does reducing nutrients really work or does the red slime plague just burn itself out? Hard to say because there is rarely a followup to a post for help. Adding to this, many aquarist will try several tactics at once which then makes it impossible to establish a solid cause and effect link between nutrient reduction and red slime disappearing. While nutrient reduction is a rational approach with no apparent downside to the tactic, it alone does not seem to explain the appearance and sometimes explosive growth of red slime.

New tanks, regardless of low nutrients levels, always seem to be more susceptible to red slime formation than established aquariums with the same nitrate and phosphate levels. A new aquarium or sump, plumbed to an established aquarium with no red slime issues, often has a vigorous growth of red slime soon after the hook up. Clearly, the trigger for red slime blooms is not simply a reflection of bad housekeeping, although sometimes it sure seems that way.

Suggestions always welcome.

Dan

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/Drfungus137/RedSlimePosts_zpsf1dd78fc.png

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/Drfungus137/MonthlyPostTrend_zps8b2f430a.png

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/Drfungus137/Recommendations_zps2a12ecb0.png

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/Drfungus137/TacticsSummary_zps4ea58d19.png

Eric45
09/19/2014, 01:19 PM
Interesting. It shows what I thought - there's a consensus around nutrients as the problem. Incidentally, red slime is what they are battling in Lake Erie, the Chesapeake and others. The scientists always attribute to excess nutrients, mostly from fertilizer and farm animal manure moving from streams to rivers to bays.

Dan_P
09/19/2014, 06:58 PM
Interesting. It shows what I thought - there's a consensus around nutrients as the problem. Incidentally, red slime is what they are battling in Lake Erie, the Chesapeake and others. The scientists always attribute to excess nutrients, mostly from fertilizer and farm animal manure moving from streams to rivers to bays.

An additional fun fact is that we aquarist talk about cyanobacteria as if it were a single species. There could thousands. Also, a lot of the scientific studies quoted by us come the study of planktonic or floating cyanobacteria, not benthic, mat forming species that plague our aquariums. The metabolisms are probably similar but knowing what each species does to survive in its ecological niche could be useful in our effort to minimize its presence.

I am tempted to set up a PO Box and have forum members send me samples of there slime to identify. I am very curious about the number of species we are dealing with. I seem to recall seeing one of the big names in reef keeping doing this before.

ReefCurrent2015
09/20/2014, 12:11 AM
I belive the 6 best things that will help with red slim are are:

1. A lot of random Strong Flow.
2. Cut your feeding down.
3. Get a quality skimmer and skim wet.
4. GFO and Carbon
5. Light Schedule and black outs.
6. Water change schedule.