PDA

View Full Version : New Green Bubble Tip Anemone GBTA

Neptune 555
09/19/2014, 01:40 PM
I purchased a GBTA to host my tank raised ocellaris clown fish.

It has been 3 days and my GBTA looks pretty good but
* My clown has never even swam near the GBTA
* He has found a home under my base rock facing the BACK of tank : (
* The LFS said to turn of my power heads at night so my anemone does not get eaten - for how long do you do this?

4 Foot 75 gallon / 20 gallon sump / 100 pounds live rock / 75 pounds figi pink live rock / skimmer / 4 65W (2XActinic 2X 10K daylight) power compact lights / refugium in sump / 2 powerheads 1600 flow rate / 1 coral beauty / 1 red head fairy wrasse / 1 clown fish / 1 fire shrimp / 1 peppermint shrimp / 1 cleaner shrimp / 3 LPS corals / 1 GBTA / Zoe / 1 emerald crab / 2 white starfish / CUC / PH 8.0 / Nitrate 10 / Ammonia 0

3 Foot 46 Gallon Bow Front tank / 50 pounds live rock / Power Compacts 2X 96 Watts / 2 powerheads / valentini puffer / flame angel / dragon wrasse / percula clown / fire shrimp

garygb
09/19/2014, 01:58 PM
BTAs are not natural hosts for ocellaris, so maybe it will take to the anemone, maybe not. Ocellaris are found in nature with magnfica and gigantea, so all bets are off with BTAs, but in captivity they often will eventually find the BTA and call it home.

It is true that powerheads will chew up a wandering anemone and spit it out, possibly killing anything else in your tank--they are loaded with poisonous nematocysts. Rather than only turning the powerheads off at night, more helpful would be to secure foam or some type of screen, such as plastic window screen so the water can go in the powerhead, but the anemone's tentacles/body cannot.

There are tons of posts on here about anemones that have been killed by powerheads and there are tons of posts of how to prevent that from happening.

Neptune 555
09/19/2014, 04:01 PM
Can you clarify how you make your pump safe? I am thinking my pump is already safe b/c of its design? I have other pumps that I think would be worse for sucking up a Anemone b/c it sucks from the bottom?

Neptune

garygb
09/19/2014, 04:38 PM
No, that pump wouldn't be considered safe. If an anemone wandered into it the anemone would likely literally be pulled in through the slits and be chopped up. For a pump like that you can put the plastic window screen around it. You can get that at Home Depot, etc.

Neptune 555
09/19/2014, 05:28 PM
If anyone can take a photo of what their pump protection looks like.. or point me to a thread i am not sure what we are trying to create? And what percentage of people have protection on their pumps who have anemone? I am wondering if I should take this guy back and stick w/ easier softies? Tank die out would not be OK...

Neptune

lawdog
09/19/2014, 06:24 PM
BTAs are super easy nems. Probably the easiest. They most likely will not host the occ clowns... You will need skunks or clarks to host that nem.

BTAs are notorious walkers ... They move around more than most nems. Ecotech sells a foam sleeve that fits there vortechs just for that reason. Google is your friend to see examples. Or just some plastic gutter screen and zip ties also will work to some degree...

I will say you can keep him you just need to nem proof your tank a bit... But to be honest your better off getting new clowns if you want them to host.

Neptune 555
09/19/2014, 07:51 PM
OK that makes sense.. however I don't want to share the google answers I get when I put in pump sleeves... Can someone give me a link where i can see this piece of equipment.. Yes I would be interested in ordering this as a precaution to tank die off.

thank you!! thank you!!
neptune

garygb
09/19/2014, 08:21 PM
Here's a link to a video where the guy describes the concept, though he doesn't actually put it on. He leaves it to common sense to figure out the specifics. As mentioned, zipties are good for securing either foam or plastic window flyscreen. I also saw pics by simply searching for "anemone protection from powerheads." Pretty straightforward if you think about it, a barrier between the anemone and the impeller that has holes that are too small to allow the anemone in and still allows a decent amount of water flow.

You can read the posts beneath the video for other ideas. Everyone has to be a bit of a DIY'er in this hobby.

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/mr-saltwater-tank-tv-friday-am-quick-tip-106-protect-nemos-house/

Neptune 555
09/20/2014, 06:39 AM
Thank you - I get it now!!! I have black screen netting and will set that up today!!!