PDA

View Full Version : EcoTech Backup Battery Lifespan

CoralFiend
09/21/2014, 07:53 PM
The EcoTech Battery Backup that I have is probably around five - six years old. What is the expected lifespan of these batteries? It still powers my MP-40 when the power is removed, but I am not sure how long it will run now before it dies. I want to be able to depend on it for extended periods, if needed. Did I read at one time that these batteries could be sent in for refurbishing? Thanks..

Braver69
09/21/2014, 10:55 PM
Batteries will last about 7 years max. I suggest you power it off the battery and time how long it lasts. That way you know the state of the battery and wont get caught in a jam.

Alex Y EcoTech
09/22/2014, 08:01 AM
The EcoTech Battery Backup that I have is probably around five - six years old. What is the expected lifespan of these batteries? It still powers my MP-40 when the power is removed, but I am not sure how long it will run now before it dies. I want to be able to depend on it for extended periods, if needed. Did I read at one time that these batteries could be sent in for refurbishing? Thanks..

Coral,

We utilize a lead acid type battery most similar to car and motorcycle batteries. That said, you can expect a 3-5 year life expectancy. I would recommend purchasing a new Battery Backup and keeping the one you have as a spare.

Tradewinds
09/22/2014, 05:58 PM
Can't the batteries be replaced? That would also be a environmental friendly alternative. How hard can it be to replace a battery?

Tradewinds
09/24/2014, 07:07 PM
Bump. Can the batteries be replaced?

New Ecotech backup unit: $165
Motorcycle battery: $40-$80

CoralFiend
09/24/2014, 08:22 PM
Coral,

We utilize a lead acid type battery most similar to car and motorcycle batteries. That said, you can expect a 3-5 year life expectancy. I would recommend purchasing a new Battery Backup and keeping the one you have as a spare.
Thanks for your reply. I figured I was getting close to the end on this one.

Tornader
09/24/2014, 09:09 PM

Of course they can be. Keep in mind that you will need deep cycle battery. Motorcycle starting battery will not work any considerable amount of time. I am planning on using LiFePO4 cells in my backup. Not too hard if you are familiar with soldering and basic electrical schematics

myram
09/25/2014, 04:28 AM

Battery for my motorcycle is $185 at the dealer.............prices on them have gone crazy lately.

letoan
09/25/2014, 05:24 AM

Yes they can be replace. I replaced both of mine.

You need a drill and a bit (around 1/8" or so to remove the river that holding cover together). Ecotech used Crown Embassy 12CE18 battery in both of the units I replaced, other with the same spec works too. I paid around $20-25 each (can't remember exactly). After the cover out of the way, undo the 2 bolts, old battery out and new battery in :p.

Just remember to use stainless steel rivet or aluminium when putting it back together to prevent rust.