PDA

View Full Version : Programmable LED light, red and blue light support

JingoFresh
09/22/2014, 12:45 AM
I am looking at investing in a new LED light that supports white, red and blue light.

I want to set it up so that it will gradually increase in light throughout the day and then at it's brightest start gradually decreasing, mimicking sunlight.

I then want to have the option to switch to red light (for cephalopods) or to blue light (for a tank with fishes etc).

Is such a light currently possible? If so, where could I look at getting one?

The custom LED shops didn't seem to do this sort of stuff, making me think it isn't currently for sale.

Mark Bianco
09/22/2014, 03:27 AM
The better lights such as AI and Radion with their controllers allow separate control of each different color and allowing ramping, they also allow you to have many different profiles you can switch to.

JingoFresh
09/22/2014, 03:33 AM
Are there any models you recommend that have red and blue lights?

JingoFresh
09/23/2014, 02:53 PM
So is this possible?

I wouldn't have thought it would be so hard. What is the limitation and what would be a way to work around it?

thegrun
09/23/2014, 02:58 PM
AquaIlluminations Hydras and Vegas, Radions...there are numerous LED fixtures with controllable red and blue (and other color) channels.

JingoFresh
09/23/2014, 02:59 PM
AquaIlluminations Hydras and Vegas, Radions...there are numerous LED fixtures with controllable red and blue (and other color) channels.

That can be programmed to increase white light gradually and then gradually decrease, and then switch to red OR blue light at night?

That's what I am having trouble with.

mcgyvr
09/23/2014, 03:50 PM
I'm not aware of an "aquarium" LED system that could have "just" the red on.. but I don't pay attention to the "newest/fancy programmable" stuff
You could DIY one though..
Or look into incorporating a "grow" light based system which is typically just red and blue

JingoFresh
09/23/2014, 03:51 PM
I'm not aware of an "aquarium" LED system that could have "just" the red on..
Or look into incorporating a "grow" light based system which is typically just red and blue

Well, I was hoping to have a custom one built, but no one seems able to build it.

mcgyvr
09/23/2014, 03:52 PM
Well, I was hoping to have a custom one built, but no one seems able to build it.

PM me.. I'll build one for you. I love to build LED lights.. even more so when I'm having to shell out my own money. :)

Owensue
09/23/2014, 09:44 PM
Check out ledzeal.com you have 4 channels and can specify what led's you want in each position. Well built, programmable customizable and inexpensive.

ReefPony
09/23/2014, 09:57 PM
Are there any models you recommend that have red and blue lights?

If it were me and money were no object, I'd go with either the Radion Gen 3 Pro or the Orphek Atlantik (either pendant or the flat fixture).

The thing is, both are quite expensive. The Radion Pro is over $700 retail and the Orpheks run in the $700-$900 range per fixture. What you get is a a great fixture (both are amazing - I got to play with the new Wifi controllable Orpheks today and I'm pretty sure I started drooling at one point) that can reproduce almost any spectrum you really want.

thegrun
09/24/2014, 08:22 AM
I'm not aware of an "aquarium" LED system that could have "just" the red on.. but I don't pay attention to the "newest/fancy programmable" stuff

The AquaIlluminations Hydras and Vegas and I believe the Radions can be run with just red (I'm not sure why you would want to) and the red and blue can be ramped up and down.