View Full Version : Frag tank params ?

Dozer1one
09/25/2014, 08:01 AM
What params do everyone keep there frag tanks at
Mine are kept at
Cal 420 ppm
Alk 9 dkh
Mag 1320

I'm just wondering if people run things slightly higher then there main display tanks for propagation reasons, my corals grow well but I think it could be a bit faster like some tanks I c at local fraggers houses

Dozer1one
09/25/2014, 01:43 PM
Bump..... Anyone I'm just looking for some tricks to promote more / faster growth
Where is sk8r when you need her

reefwars
09/27/2014, 01:15 PM
growth isnt just parameter based , lighting and flow and temp play a huge role;)

if you want to get good growth keep a log book and try different things , thats what we did for 6 yrs and now get better growth then we ever had.

as well knowing your coral and its needs are obvious;)

Dozer1one
09/28/2014, 10:17 AM
Oh def, of course, I keep logbooks and try to optimize flow directions and amounts ect, this question is based more towards a frag tank, my main display tank has great growth rates, and for years I have kept my frag tank at the same parameters but using a 20,000 k metal halide to stunt growth, now 6 months ago I put a 14,000k bulb in to increase growth, now I'm wondering if I kept my cal and mag a little higher would it promote accelerated growth rates

Dozer1one
09/28/2014, 10:28 AM
I should add that both my display tanks have Radions on them and my frag tank has a mh pendant, but that's the only real difference. I have recently been selling a lot of frags and would like to start " growing" colonies in it as well as my display tanks

organism
09/28/2014, 02:03 PM
I think dosing kalk in the ATO water and good water flow are some of the biggest factors for growth. I've seen great tanks that grew corals really slowly due to not enough water movement... I don't mean like current blasting through the tank though, more like every part of the tank getting water movement with no dead spots.

reefwars
09/29/2014, 09:58 AM
Keeping you calcium a little higher won't increase growth as long as you are within acceptable Range.....420 and 480 will have no difference in growth.

Keeping your Alk and ph higher could though for Stoney corals.

Halides are fine although you may get slightly different colors than the radions are giving you, possibly anyways.

If your display is doing good then follow that routine as it is where they are growing from correct?

Seems like you have a good idea of what your doing , don't change your routines but expand on them :)

Dozer1one
09/29/2014, 07:30 PM
Yep they're growing great in the display with the Radions and I've basically been matching parameters in the frag tank but never had great growth so hopefully the new 14000k bulb will help, thanks for the replies