PDA

View Full Version : Green Algae on Live Rock

cvsailer
09/25/2014, 02:10 PM
I have a 92 gallon corner FOWLR. I have a decent amount of green algae on my live rock. It actually does not look terrible. I assume my phosphate levels are a bit high as a result, which I have attempted to control. My question is the following: Right before I do a water change I take a pump and blow off anything on my live rock. When I do this, parts of the algae come flying off the rock. If I wanted to take the time, could I simply take a brush and brush off the algae in a garbage with pale with the water I juste removed from the tank?

jeperry3
09/25/2014, 02:45 PM
Yes. That would work as long as no coral. Ive done this or something similar many times. Could also brush and siphon without removing the rocks. However, this is band-aid treatment only. Need to fix nutrient issues to permanently get rid of algae.

cvsailer
09/27/2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the response. For green algae what do recommend in terms nutrient control?

jeperry3
09/27/2014, 03:31 PM
water changes, cut down on feeding, GFO, good skimmer. Its a long list. There are a lot of good articles in the stickies. A lot depends on your tank. Newer tanks tend to go through cycles of nuisance algae as they mature. Test for nitrate and phosphate , both contribute to algae, and read the articles to determine whats best for your system.