PDA

View Full Version : id please

Reddog
09/25/2014, 10:23 PM
Have noticed several of these pop up on live rock over the past few months. I am thinking they may be some type of egg but not sure. The tank has been up and running for 15 or so years and have never seen anything like them. I noticed this evening they have definitely become more numerous in this portion of the tank. These things are almost circular and fairly flat and opaque in appearance, prob 3-4 mm diameter. Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks

Sugar Magnolia
09/26/2014, 05:40 AM
Those are nerite snail eggs.

discocarp
09/26/2014, 05:41 AM
+1 for Nerite Eggs. Completely harmless. They will never develop, but even just a couple nerites will lay those eggs all over the place.

sublime9182
09/26/2014, 06:34 AM
+1 for Nerite Eggs. Completely harmless. They will never develop, but even just a couple nerites will lay those eggs all over the place.

Why won't they develop? Just curious as I have some to.

discocarp
09/26/2014, 06:45 AM
They can't complete their lifecycle in our aquariums because they have a planktonic phase of development. This is true for most snails (but not all). Trochus, Columbellid, Stomatellas, Collonista can all complete their lifecycle in our tanks. I'm not aware of any other snails off the top of my head that can.

Pyramid snails too, but you don't want those! :)

Reddog
09/26/2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought it may have been a snail egg of some type but wasn't sure.
That makes sense because I added a cleaner package about 6 months ago
And have never had nerites before that time.