PDA

View Full Version : PH fluctuation

starionesir
09/26/2014, 06:13 AM
I'm trying to work on keeping my PH fluctuation down to as much as possible. Besides running a refugium lit at the opposite time is there anything else that I can do? My apex is saying around 8.12 at night and around 8.45 during the day. I know large ph changes are really not liked.

Wryknow
09/26/2014, 08:30 AM
The biggest things that you can do is ensure that you have adequate alkalinity to buffer changes and aerate your water (protein skimmers are good.) Using Kalk in your auto-top off and only running it at night is another good way to raise Ph at night. Your Ph swing doesn't look that bad to me though - .3 seems pretty typical. IMHO perfectly stable Ph is not a realistic target, just try to keep the swings to a minimum.

disc1
09/26/2014, 08:52 AM
I'm trying to work on keeping my PH fluctuation down to as much as possible. Besides running a refugium lit at the opposite time is there anything else that I can do? My apex is saying around 8.12 at night and around 8.45 during the day. I know large ph changes are really not liked.

Your pH levels sound awesome. I wouldn't change a thing.

starionesir
09/26/2014, 09:12 AM
Okay I just wanted to make sure its not too much to quickly. It does take till the end of the light cycle for the PH to finally hit around 8.4 so its not a really quick climb. I do have a protein skimmer so it does have a lot of aeration. I was thinking about adding kalk to my ATO as well but wasn't sure as I don't have a large demand for calcium yet as many of my corals are softies.

Sk8r
09/26/2014, 02:10 PM
Watching the alk will solve most things. Read 'Dirt Simple Chemistry' in 'Setting UP' in the stickies above. You might start with a single tsp of kalk per gallon of topoff (half the max dose).

myofibroblast
09/26/2014, 03:07 PM
Okay I just wanted to make sure its not too much to quickly. It does take till the end of the light cycle for the PH to finally hit around 8.4 so its not a really quick climb. I do have a protein skimmer so it does have a lot of aeration. I was thinking about adding kalk to my ATO as well but wasn't sure as I don't have a large demand for calcium yet as many of my corals are softies.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.