PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in an ATS

Buzz1329
09/26/2014, 07:12 PM
Not sure if this is right forum for this inquiry so please move to appropriate forum if necessary.

Assume you’ve purchased/built an overflow ATS to deal with minor yet persistent GHA outbreak. You’re already using an efficient skimmer, GFO/GAC, vinegar dosing, reduced feeding, etc. PO4 and NO3 test at 0 – no doubt because the GHA is soaking up residual phosphates and nitrates.

How do you break in the ATS? For example, I’m thinking that if you eliminate GFO, it may stimulate algae growth on ATS, but could also accelerate GHA growth in DT while ATS is maturing over the course of several weeks/months.

So what anti-algae methods should you continue, modify or discontinue while ATS is breaking in?

Thanks,

Mike

silentscream
09/26/2014, 09:16 PM
I would search and/or post in the algae scrubber basics thread in the advanced forum. I personally wouldn't immediately discontinue anything, but slowly ramp down use of things like vodka and GFO. Just understand screen maturation on a scrubber is different for each tank and could take a while.

ca1ore
09/26/2014, 09:57 PM
If you have algae growth in the display, then it will certainly grow on the ATS screen as well, so I'd not changec anything until you see that growth. Then you can cut back on GFO, etc.

supra400hptt
09/27/2014, 08:17 AM
That's what I was going to say. If it's growing in the display, it should grow on the screen with good lighting. I prefer red leds. I'd keep doing what your doing until the ATS was growing well.

Buzz1329
09/27/2014, 02:01 PM
Excellent advice.

Thanks,

Mike