PDA

View Full Version : Canary wrasse ?

Shivsreef
09/27/2014, 07:15 AM
Where is my new Canary wrasse?

I put him in about an hour ago and now I cant find him is he like other wrasses who just dive in the sand

Rybren
09/27/2014, 07:51 AM
Yup. You can expect him/her to be in the sand for up to a couple of weeks.

Whatever you do, DON"T GO DIGGING FOR IT IN THE SAND. It will come out when it is ready.

Shivsreef
09/27/2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks Rybren but what would happen supposing if I did go digging for him

Rybren
09/27/2014, 10:49 AM
For one, you run the risk of injuring it. Secondly, the fish is under a lot of stress - jet lagged, taken away from its home, placed in a strange glass box - you get the idea. If you disturb the sand & fish, then you're just adding to the stress situation. These fish need every possible opportunity to survive.

FWIW, mine had been in the LFS for a couple of weeks before I got it and had somewhat transitioned to our time schedule. It still spent a few days in the sand. When it did come out, it initially only stayed out for a few minutes. The out time gradually got longer, but it is a slow process.

Shivsreef
09/27/2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks rybren

johnike
09/27/2014, 11:21 AM
jerry gave me the same advice which i have followed. yellow coris wrasse in the dt for 3 weeks before i finally saw him. now he comes out occasionally, stays visible for a few minutes and then finds a place in the rocks to hide. i'm looking forward to him staying out more because he's gorgeous and really adds color!

oops, this is Nina51. johnike forgot to log out. 20 lashes with a wet xenia!

hogfanreefer
09/27/2014, 11:40 AM
Every fish has it's own personality. My two Halichoeres (Vrolik's and Canary) never went in the sand when released to the DT and stayed out and about till lights out the first day. Not sure if it was because they spent 10 weeks in my QT system and got acclimated or what.

Shivsreef
09/27/2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks
Johnnike and hogfanreefer

PL-Reef
09/27/2014, 04:50 PM
Yup. You can expect him/her to be in the sand for up to a couple of weeks.

Whatever you do, DON"T GO DIGGING FOR IT IN THE SAND. It will come out when it is ready.

+1 When I first introduced my yellow corris wrasse it dove straight into the sand and stayed there for the better part of a month. I would catch it coming out once in a while at night time at first. Once it felt comfortable it started coming out during the day time hours. Best bet is to leave it be and don't dig for it.

Shivsreef
09/28/2014, 12:56 AM
Thanks pl reef

Surprisingly it is fully out now and is not hiding anymore

Shivsreef
09/28/2014, 08:08 AM
Hey guys one more question in the day when lights are out will it hide in the sand