PDA

View Full Version : Anything to be Worried About?

mluntz
09/27/2014, 10:18 AM
Here are my current water parameters. Just wondering if you guys think my calcium and mag are a little high.

ammonia-0
ph-8.3
nitrate-0
alk-9.128
cal-455
mag-1455
salinity-1.025
temp-79.5

ca1ore
09/27/2014, 10:31 AM
Very precise measurements, but are they accurate? :lol:

Assuming so, no worries really. My tank runs a bit high on alkalinity, calcium and magnesium too, with no apparent issues. Within acceptable ranges, stability is more important than absolutes.

cloak
09/27/2014, 11:58 AM
Check this out.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

HTH.

Sk8r
09/27/2014, 01:09 PM
A little high, but no panic. Stop supplementing and let them fall a bit, as they will once the mg runs down---it does that pretty slowly. A few ordinary water changes may also contribute to lowering it. My sig line has a set of pretty stable params to shoot for.

mluntz
09/28/2014, 09:13 AM
A little high, but no panic. Stop supplementing and let them fall a bit, as they will once the mg runs down---it does that pretty slowly. A few ordinary water changes may also contribute to lowering it. My sig line has a set of pretty stable params to shoot for.

I try to shoot for your parameters. I do not supplement at all. I did switch salt mix about two months ago from IO to Reef Crystals and am wondering if this could be the issue. I will be needing new salt mix very soon and would like some opinions as to whether I should switch back or not.

reefling
01/17/2015, 03:27 PM
Reef crystals has higher mag alk and ca because it's for people who need that. I would not worry about it if you so not supplement. Some people shoot for those levels. You will only run into issues if they drop sharply. If you are not supplementing and maintaining that then you should be golden.
Chances are your test kits are a bit off too. You could easily have 440 which is what that salt has as a default. Or it could be correct and you could be supplementing without knowing it. Stuff like purple up is just a more expensive calcium additive.