PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Light

astroroxy
09/27/2014, 08:53 PM
So I have a wild schedule.
I have 2 clowns and a BTA, and I use a 10 Hour lighting schedule with sunrise and sunset.

I can occasionally be a night owl. What affect does my room lighting have on my tank? Will it mess up their cycle, prevent sleeping, etc?

Or is ambient light not enough to affect them?

Thanks.

toomany
09/28/2014, 12:36 AM
I'm currious about this as well. Except with a twist. Due to mine and the wifes sheduals, I've got my lights set to run from 2pm-1am. Mainly so the tank is lit when we are around/awake. So my tank will have ambient day light from the room when the tank lights are off. The tank is not in dirrect sunlight and 8s away from windows.

E46Twist
09/28/2014, 01:51 AM
While I wish I knew the answer I have experience with this and in my experience nothing bad comes of it. In example my lights are on 12pm-8pm but I am regularly up till 12-1am. Tank is in my study that is rather dimly lit except for my desk. When the tank lights go off , it is pretty dark in the tank since none of the lights are directed at the tank. Furthermore, all of my nocturnal inverts come out and all of my fish go to sleep. I honestly believe that since most if not all of what we keep is not from the pitch black parts of the ocean a little ambient light would not bother them(moonlight.) Also all corals close up/ retract and those that feed at night(acan and such) put out tentacles.

In your case if you are still worried just watch your clowns. If they settle into their host area close the the rocks they are down for bed.

In your case