PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Parasite?

QuiGonJay
09/28/2014, 09:11 AM
This morning I found a small (1cm maybe) creature attached to the tail of my clownfish. After catching the fish, the creature detached. Photo attached. After some searching, I'm guessing a parasitic isopod (oh, joy). Guessing there's not much to do other than keep an eye on the fish (they had been in the tank about a week - first fish so I'm guessing the pod was biding time in a live rock) and physically remove any more, but appreciate any advice.

P.S. catching fish in a tank filled with live rock sucks. But you all know that already! :)

W1ngz
09/28/2014, 09:32 AM
No idea what that one is, but googling a bit about parasitic isopods I learned something I didn't know, that some are parasitic and suck blood.

I also came across something semi-related, but not to small aquarium species (I hope). I dare you to google 'tongue eating isopod'. So much for breakfast...

QuiGonJay
09/28/2014, 09:54 AM
Challenge accepted . . . . and immediately regretted. Didn't I see one of those things in an Alien movie?

W1ngz
09/28/2014, 10:51 AM
Seriously! Just like that second mouth on the end of the Alien tongue.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/products/200234-alien-warrior/lg/200234-alien-warrior-001.jpg