PDA

View Full Version : Best way to plumb Herbie to sump with 2 drains?

shermanator
09/29/2014, 11:08 AM
I'm setting up a basement sump and I have a lifereef sump (LF1-300S, see generic picture attached) that has two drain inputs. One on the left (skimmer section) and one on the right. Both feed into the middle return section.

I want to use a Herbie siphon drain (I don't have three holes to do a BeanAnimal), but this leaves me with one drain. I know it's not a good idea to T-off the siphon drain. So... what is the best solution when the sump uses two drains? I only have two holes to work with and my current DT isn't big enough to warrant two Herbie drains (I have a 40B until I can convince my wife to let me upgrade).

Just a thought: maybe I can have some flow T'd off from the return pump (Blueline 55HD) enter the right sump drain? Will it matter if the flow rates are not similar across both sides of the sump?

Thanks!

SGT_York
09/29/2014, 02:01 PM
T off the return.

Keeps detritus out of your refugium, and simplifies the drain plumbing.

The flow on each side of the sump doesn't have to match.

uncleof6
09/29/2014, 03:00 PM
I'm setting up a basement sump and I have a lifereef sump (LF1-300S, see generic picture attached) that has two drain inputs. One on the left (skimmer section) and one on the right. Both feed into the middle return section.

I want to use a Herbie siphon drain (I don't have three holes to do a BeanAnimal), but this leaves me with one drain. I know it's not a good idea to T-off the siphon drain. So... what is the best solution when the sump uses two drains? I only have two holes to work with and my current DT isn't big enough to warrant two Herbie drains (I have a 40B until I can convince my wife to let me upgrade).

Just a thought: maybe I can have some flow T'd off from the return pump (Blueline 55HD) enter the right sump drain? Will it matter if the flow rates are not similar across both sides of the sump?

Thanks!

Branch the return line. A very simple solution to a very simple "non" issue. Flow in = flow out, so different flow to either side is irrelevant... :)