PDA

View Full Version : Should I add a CUC?

Gup_King
09/29/2014, 11:33 AM
I want to thank everyone before I ask my question , I've read plenty but am a complete novice at fishkeeping and these forums have been invaluable to me.

My tank is a 130 litre aqua one aqua nano, which I have had set up for a few weeks now.

For the past two weeks I have had about 2kg of live rock in the tank (my Last had very little in but I wanted to start cycling asap) and a half live sand, half crushed coral bed, a couple of inches deep. For the past week I have had an additional 10kg of live rock in the tank (12kg in total).

I have been testing nitrates and ammonia daily but very little has happened, nitrates have increased an only just noticeable amount over the past few days and ammonia not at all. All of my rock is cured and I've read that with such a setup it is understandable that a cycle may not be visible; initially I was planning on still giving the tank a month or so, just to be on the safe side but since adding the latest rock I have noticed a brown algae build up on the rocks, glass and sand, so I am eager to add a CUC to address this.

On one of the newest pieces of rock there is 'some form of life', possibly a coral but I'm too inexperienced to
identify it. This lifeforms seems to be alive (it reacts to light and movement) and I'm hoping this is a good sign.

So my question is: is it safe to add a CUC to deal with the algae?

Coelli
09/29/2014, 11:39 AM
With cured live rock, I had virtually no cycle and added several snails after a few days when initial water test looked good. They were very good for cleaning up that initial diatom bloom (your brown stuff). I'd say you're ready for snails at the very least. :)

Gup_King
09/29/2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks a lot! That seems to be in line with everything I've read, I'm just wary of being over eager ; its nice to be 'advised', rather than reading what I want to read!