PDA

View Full Version : Gfci

Baldguy
09/30/2014, 03:56 PM
Getting ready to have a circuit dedicated to my tank installed. Was talking to the electrician who also is into saltwater about installing a GFCI outlet and he suggested not getting a gfci outlet. He does not have one for his tank and mentioned that some ballasts and pumps can trip the gfci for no reason and he doesn't want to deal with that happening when not home. I was very surprised. Thought it was an automatic to have gfci. I searched gfci here and indeed did find many instances of the gfci being tripped for no good reason. So now what do I do? I'm leaning toward not getting the gfci now. Any thoughts?

Vinny Kreyling
09/30/2014, 04:18 PM
I would GFI -- Go For It.
Better safe than sorry.
I only had problems when I ran Halides, otherwise I have them for everything & no problems.

jayball
09/30/2014, 07:31 PM
My 108 w t5 ballast will also trip my gfci. I had to run a cord from another outlet for it.

BIGD0G
09/30/2014, 08:45 PM
I use GCFI breakers for my dedicated tank circuits rather than GFCI outlets. Mine have never tripped for no reason.

Reefvet
09/30/2014, 09:07 PM
i use gcfi breakers for my dedicated tank circuits rather than gfci outlets. Mine have never tripped for no reason.

+1

Toddrtrex
09/30/2014, 09:53 PM
How is your house wired? Is conduit used?

My place has conduit, was just as easy to run 2, as opposed to 1 --- just one extra wire, shared neutral.

Setting up a new 210, just had my electrician out, and ran 2 20 amp circuits. One of the outlets is GFCI, and the other is not. This way I will plug my lights (( 8*80 ATI T5 )), return pump and a few "dry" items into it. This way my lights won't trip it, and if something does trip the GFCI, the main pump will still be running.

alton
10/01/2014, 05:33 AM
Install two receptacles, one GFCI, one not. Anything that will be placed into the water or can fall into place on GFCI.

kurt_n
10/01/2014, 08:51 AM
I would never EVER run anything without a GFCI. I "found" a powerhead that had its coil exposed to saltwater by grounding myself, which then tripped the GFCI. Even with the GFCI tripping, it was still a pretty good jolt that I don't want to recreate.

Yes, there are reports of nuisance GFCI trips, and I bet if properly followed up on they'd find a bad (cheap) GFCI, faulty wiring, or a faulty device. Even with those things, I'll choose my life over my fish tank's every day.

SGT_York
10/01/2014, 08:56 AM
Nuisance tripping vs potential death.....

Let me think this one through.

Most of the nuisance tripping is caused by using an extension cord or multiple outlet surge protector that are pushed past their limits. Use GFCI and don't use power stips. Get something like the DJ power strips or ensure that your power strips are rated for 20 amps.

Ranger Daryl
10/01/2014, 12:33 PM
I installed an outdoor receptacle box(the kind with a flip down cover) inside my stand. I wired a 14 gauge appliance cord to the gfci receptacle and then plug that into wall receptacle in my house, making a sort of portable gfci. I know it works it has tripped once. I've done this in every stand I've ever built.

Eric Boerner
10/01/2014, 12:41 PM
I have 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits with GFCI outlets in my fishlab, and 1 20 amp non-GFCI on a wall 10' from water. The only two pieces of equipment that cannot handle being on the GFCI is my Radion Pro 3 LEDs and the Sequence Dart Gold. The Radions trip the GFCI everytime, so those have been relocated to their own Apex PB4 on the non-GFCI outlet. The Sequence can handle the GFCI, however it draws too much load on start up after turning it off, which will trip the circuit if everything comes on at the same time. So it also has been moved to the non-GFCI outlet. Outside of those two pieces of equipment, I haven't had a single GFCI trip over in 3 months since installing them.

Lavoisier
10/01/2014, 07:14 PM
There are three grade of gfci outlets. Be sure to use the highest grade--hospital, as opposed to commercial or standard. Also, any gfci outlet over time will need to be replaced.

Baldguy
10/01/2014, 08:27 PM
Thanks all!! Just what I needed to hear. Several options that make sense for me. I'm thinking two outlets on the one circuit. One GFCI one not. I did not know about the different grades of GFCI. Will definitely get hospital grade. A quick search of 20 amp hospital grade gfi outlets shows prices of $12 to $50. What could account for such differences in prices? Again, thanks all!

vair
10/01/2014, 08:32 PM
and get a new electrician

OllieDog
10/01/2014, 08:42 PM
Nuisance tripping vs potential death.....

Let me think this one through.

Wouldn't the breaker trip before it harms you? Same as trying to throw a toaster into the bath tub?

Jeff000
10/01/2014, 09:39 PM
There are three grade of gfci outlets. Be sure to use the highest grade--hospital, as opposed to commercial or standard. Also, any gfci outlet over time will need to be replaced.

Hospital grade is not needed, and often a misused term. Sometimes people think it means isolated ground. but it really just means there is a power indication led on the commercial grade version.

Commercial, industrial, and hospital grade don't change how the receptacle works over the residential. One will not work any better or worse than the others. What you will get is a plug that can handle more cycles of plugging and unplugging, and a higher quality plastic used in construction.

Just buy a mid grade brand, and make sure you don't double up the GFCI protection, ie don't use a gfci receptacle on a gfci breaker, can cause funny issues.

As an electrician, I don't use a GFCI either.

alton
10/02/2014, 05:12 AM
Not sure which room your tank is going into but you will need to install an Arc Fault breaker and use GFCI receptacles. Hospital grade are more accurate and trip at 5ma versus regular GFCI receptacles that trip at 4 to 6ma. Square D makes a dual purpose breaker that is both but good luck at finding one.