PDA

View Full Version : Re: Hob filtration 55 gallon sw tank

ALF915
10/01/2014, 02:35 PM
Fellow aquarists,

I began setting up my tank 3.5 months ago following the preferred fish-less cycle methods. After over a month of cycling I slowly added fish. At this point I have 4 fish in the tank.

For filtration, I am using two HOB filters. One is rated for 70GPH and the other 40GPH, make it a total 100GHP of filtration. I do not have a sump or protein skimmer.

I am also conscious of over-feeding the fish, and of course, I am using RODI water with 20% water changes per week.

However, I recently encountered an algae problem (about a month and a half ago) that I can't seem to kick. Should I be looking into HOB protein skimmers to remove organic waste (the nitrate levels are ~10ppm) or is this just a product of a new tank? A trusted source tells me that 2 HOB filters are just fine, but I can't imagine that the HOB filters are permanently removing organics from the tank.

Sk8r
10/01/2014, 02:58 PM
No, you need a phosphate removing GFO reactor. It'll take about 3 months in a bad case, and if it IS bad, change the media monthly. One of the one-jar reactors will do you handsomely with a 55.

ALF915
10/01/2014, 03:07 PM
No, you need a phosphate removing GFO reactor. It'll take about 3 months in a bad case, and if it IS bad, change the media monthly. One of the one-jar reactors will do you handsomely with a 55.

Thanks. I will begin looking into it. Any affordable recommendations that you know of?

nmotz
10/01/2014, 03:19 PM

Does he need a reactor, per se? Or could he maybe just get by with a media bag of GFO in one of his HOBs? What are your thoughts on applying GFO like this (I would like to do the same at some point)?

mcgyvr
10/01/2014, 04:00 PM
Algae is a normal part of a new tank IMO..
If you don't test for things like phosphates,etc.. then its silly to spend money on any assumptions..

what are your test results for...
nitrate?
phosphate?

also what about lighting? a fish only tank needs NO light at all.. and algae loves light..
Also what type of algae? color?,etc..

ALF915
10/01/2014, 07:36 PM
Algae is a normal part of a new tank IMO..
If you don't test for things like phosphates,etc.. then its silly to spend money on any assumptions..

what are your test results for...
nitrate?
phosphate?

also what about lighting? a fish only tank needs NO light at all.. and algae loves light..
Also what type of algae? color?,etc..

Don't have a test for phosphate, although the nitrate levels are approximately 10ppm. There are corals in the tank. I am using solarmax h.o light I posted the link below. The algae is brown and sometimes has a green tint to it.

Thanks
http://www.aquacon.com/T5Lighting_DeepBlueSolarMaxHO.html

Bryopsis
10/02/2014, 08:00 AM
get a two little fishies 150 reactor and some gfo. It's just smart.

uncleL
10/02/2014, 10:14 AM
10% water change wkly, get a good skimmer, change or increase water flow and lights 8hrs.....LED light??