PDA

View Full Version : A little help on equipment

Ride The Spiral
10/01/2014, 05:14 PM
Hello all! I'm new to the forums and the hobby as well. My Mother had a 125 gallon tank years ago and I just thought I'd like to start getting into saltwater as I start getting older. There are a few problems I am facing, the biggest problem being I live in an area with no saltwater ... well anything! I'd have to drive 5 hours to look at tanks, rock, sand, coral, fish etcetera, so I've been doing some research and I found, after trying many websites, a decent website that makes custom tanks and has free shipping. Some things I don't know about getting this started is some of the equipment needed to make this ocean possible in my house. I don't know what a protein skimmer is, or what a sump does. I don't know what type of water to use or what else I need to get started. About this tank, being 48" in height, I would imagine the entire setup would be around 80" with the stand and canopy. Would this be hard to maintain? Also, what are some good choices in protein skimmers, sumps etcetera, for this 135 gallon tank that anyone could recommend? I've read some things about Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock on this forum and I decided to register here over the others online. Any help with this and me getting started would be MUCH appreciated!

Below is a link to the tank I am going to purchase. I'd like to keep it between 125 and 150 gallon, this one being a 135 is just perfect.

http://www.customaquariums.com/p-86-135-gallon-glass-aquarium-36h-x-48l-x-18d.aspx