PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry if Peazipro? Algae irradication side effect (good)?

jdamon
10/01/2014, 09:49 PM
Posted this in fish diseases, but this forum may be more appropriate... First time I experienced this my phosphate went from 0.05 before to 0.0 after treatment via Gianna checker. Nitrate was always 0 via red sea.

So, I have had a fluke issue (which thankfully has been managed by prazipro) in my DT. I have treated twice, and both times all the GHA and all nuisance algae for that matter has died after treatment. This is a good thing mind you, just wondering what is actually happening. I also noticed the first time I went through this that the cotals paled and regained color when I slowed/stopped the GFO (two to four weeks after initial treatment). Is there something about prazipro that binds nitrate or phosphate to the point of not supporting algae? Is algea fix just one if the ingredients in Prazipro? Very curious indeed..

bertoni
10/02/2014, 01:40 AM
I have forgotten the name of the chemical in AlgaeFix, but it's not praziquantel, the active ingredient of PraziPro. I'm not sure what happened in your system.

jdamon
10/02/2014, 10:49 AM
How about the oxybispropanol (dipropylene glycol) that is listed as a stabilizer ingredient? quick Google search did not reveal that it binds nitrate or phosphate... Maybe someone is familiar with that compound beyond what was listed on Wikipedia.

bertoni
10/02/2014, 12:01 PM
There's nothing that actually will bind nitrate in our tanks, although some kits might have chemicals that are claimed to do so.

jdamon
10/02/2014, 08:54 PM
Maybe there is an herbicidal property to one of these compounds? Something is happening, it's not magic :). Possibly the slippery nature of dipropylene glycol interferes with the "rooting" of the algae? Just throwing that out there, a little armchair science :).

bertoni
10/02/2014, 09:22 PM
There could be some herbicidal or other property that's causing the effect, but I don't know a good way to discover what specifically is happening here. If you want to do some experiments, the first step might be to try to get an accurate description of what's in the product, although the manufacturer might not tell you.