PDA

View Full Version : 2 return pumps in one sump

Remmers
10/02/2014, 10:40 PM
I am going to be building a new sump soon (40 breeder) for a 90 gallon reef.

My question is, would there be any issues if I run 2 mag 9.5 pumps in the sump, the reason I want to run 2 is #1 I have them already and #2 I want to be able to tee off of them to run my dual reactor and my 3 reactor for bio-media.

I know I would have to put valves on the output to the reactors to control flow, and If I have to much, I could run a discharge pipe back into the sump.

Would this work and save me from having to buy a bigger pump?

SausageArm
10/03/2014, 03:35 AM
Yes it would work, i had two pumps in my last sump with no issues.

Tweaked
10/03/2014, 04:04 AM
Running two in my middle chamber with no problem.

kegogut
10/03/2014, 04:19 AM
I've ran two pumps in one sump to two different tanks with no issues.

billdogg
10/03/2014, 06:22 AM
Sure you can. I would be a bit worried about the extra heat added, especially by Mag pumps, notorious for adding heat and vibration. You would be better off using one properly sized pump.

Remmers
10/03/2014, 06:29 AM
Sure you can. I would be a bit worried about the extra heat added, especially by Mag pumps, notorious for adding heat and vibration. You would be better off using one properly sized pump.

I agree about the heat issue, so I am going to look for Just one pump that can do what I need

kegogut
10/03/2014, 10:56 AM
I agree about the heat issue, so I am going to look for Just one pump that can do what I need

Depending on what you want it to do you could get a Jebao DC pump. I have the 12000 and its running my return an all my reactors(GFO,Carbon,Calcium,and maybe a sulfur soon) and its not up close to all the way.

viggen
10/03/2014, 11:04 AM
You might be able to get by with one of those pumps to do everything then use the second pump as a spare.

As stated they are on the noisy side and also make a bunch of heat... you only need to push 200-500gph through your tank so depending on what you need through your reactors a single mag pump might be plenty

Adding two pumps this size might also result in a lot of bubble/noise from the water splashing around.