PDA

View Full Version : Scott's Fairy wrasse?

docstach
10/03/2014, 01:01 PM
I want to add a wrasse to my mixed reef 125g. I understand Scott's can be very aggressive toward other wrasses, but what I could not find is how they are toward non-wrasses? This would be the only wrasse in the tank along with a mix of other passive to semi-aggressive fish (firefish, royal gramma, juv perc clown, eventual cherub angel and kole tang).

Thanks

eatbreakfast
10/03/2014, 01:07 PM
I want to add a wrasse to my mixed reef 125g. I understand Scott's can be very aggressive toward other wrasses, but what I could not find is how they are toward non-wrasses? This would be the only wrasse in the tank along with a mix of other passive to semi-aggressive fish (firefish, royal gramma, juv perc clown, eventual cherub angel and kole tang).

Thanks

With those fish they should be fine, other open water planktivores, like anthias may get chased.

ben jammin
10/03/2014, 01:29 PM
Are they aggressive towards other wrasses of all kinds, or just other fairy wrasses? I would think just fairy wrasses, right, since they don't really look like or compete for any niche with coris, halichoeres, and other genuses?

I have a red velvet fairy wrasse that's pretty well established and holds it's own just fine with my angels and triggers. I would love to add a Scott's. Is it likely to get into it with "Sprinkles" the red velvet fairy wrasse. (Hey, I let my daughter name my fish! :) )

snorvich
10/03/2014, 02:01 PM
Are they aggressive towards other wrasses of all kinds, or just other fairy wrasses? I would think just fairy wrasses, right, since they don't really look like or compete for any niche with coris, halichoeres, and other genuses?

I have a red velvet fairy wrasse that's pretty well established and holds it's own just fine with my angels and triggers. I would love to add a Scott's. Is it likely to get into it with "Sprinkles" the red velvet fairy wrasse. (Hey, I let my daughter name my fish! :) )

From my experience, I would not add a C. scottorum.

eatbreakfast
10/03/2014, 02:03 PM
It will be more aggressive towards fairy and flasher wrasses, but may or may not go after other Genera, it just depends on the individual.

I would think you can get away with adding a scotts to your other tank, just use a social acclimation box when adding, it really helps.

My own personal experience has been a scotts likes to be the boss and flash and make runs towards other fairy wrasses, but as long as the fish dont challenge his supremacy they are tolerated.

In the tank I am thinking of the scotts was the boss for sure, lubbocki next, and a solorensis 3rd. The scotts paid no attention to them until I would add another wrasse. When the new wrasse would be added the lubbocks or solorensis would display and try to intimidate the new wrasse. On seeing this the scott would then chase either the lubbock or solorensis, depending on who was trying to be dominant, until it stopped its display and then would go back to doing whatever it is he was doing before. I actually liked him because he would allow new wrasses to be added to existing wrasses.

extoker
10/03/2014, 02:43 PM
I hope you get a better solarensis than I did. I got one from DD several months ago and it doesn't make any difference what wrasse family (fairy, flasher, Halichoeres, etc.) the wrasse is from; he literally kills them. I've been through five wrasse already.
Tim

eatbreakfast
10/03/2014, 03:35 PM
I hope you get a better solarensis than I did. I got one from DD several months ago and it doesn't make any difference what wrasse family (fairy, flasher, Halichoeres, etc.) the wrasse is from; he literally kills them. I've been through five wrasse already.
Tim

Any wrasse that is in a tank on its own or where it is the dominant fish can become more aggressive especially towards similar species, but overall solorensis are usually not that bad.

usingthejohn
10/03/2014, 03:38 PM
Any wrasse that is in a tank on its own or where it is the dominant fish can become more aggressive especially towards similar species.

This part is very true. in fact my lineatus is the dominant wrasse in my tank and it bullied my harlequin tusk to death.

hogfanreefer
10/03/2014, 07:47 PM
Amazing how individual they are. My Lineatus is the dominant wrasse in my tank but doesn't even bother the Pink Margin that's also in there except for an occasional brief chase.

sc50964
10/03/2014, 08:25 PM
This part is very true. in fact my lineatus is the dominant wrasse in my tank and it bullied my harlequin tusk to death.

Wow. How big was your HT?

MIKE NY
10/04/2014, 09:44 AM
In my experience alot of this aggression not only depends on the individual fish , but the size of the tank and the number of fish... I have well over a dozen wrasses and whenever a fight breaks out there are so many other fish that get in the way with the tank being large enough for weaker to retreat that it doesn't last long....I also have been lucky that it normally doesn't continue on sight again.