PDA

View Full Version : Is switching salt ok?

Force4000
10/03/2014, 03:11 PM
Hello all,

question for ya. I have been using a lfs salt (not sure of the name, came in a blank bag) that they recommended for the last few years with no problems. My fish and corals have been doing great. I recently got a bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt and was wondering if its ok to switch over. I have a few softies including a hammerhead and a few zoa colonies in my tank. I have a flame angel, clown pair, cleaner shrimp, and a cardinal bangel. Will everything be ok if I did a 5g water change with the new salt?

disc1
10/03/2014, 03:14 PM
No worries. Use the new salt to your heart's content. They don't explode or anything when you mix them.

It might be worth checking the parameters of both salts when freshly mixed. For instance if the new salt is higher in calcium then you might have to back off the calcium dosing a little or something like that. But there's no issue just from mixing salts.

Force4000
10/03/2014, 04:38 PM
Ok thanks!

Aquarist007
10/03/2014, 07:29 PM
No worries. Use the new salt to your heart's content. They don't explode or anything when you mix them.

It might be worth checking the parameters of both salts when freshly mixed. For instance if the new salt is higher in calcium then you might have to back off the calcium dosing a little or something like that. But there's no issue just from mixing salts.

David you would probably know best but doesn't Red Sea salt come from evaporated salt from the Red Sea and contain bacteria in cyst forms. That said should one not be conscience of a possible bacterial bloom on a switch over?

Force4000
10/04/2014, 06:35 AM
David you would probably know best but doesn't Red Sea salt come from evaporated salt from the Red Sea and contain bacteria in cyst forms. That said should one not be conscience of a possible bacterial bloom on a switch over?

Well if this is the case I might try to stick with the same salt, this just requires a 30 minutes drive downtown to get some. Not a big deal but I would rather play it smart if that is the case.