View Full Version : My Mushroom, he's dead. Pic and stats for help

10/03/2014, 06:10 PM
Welp, my first coral, my Green Hairy Mushroom is dead. Had him for over a year since the beginning.

Came home from work this afternoon to see him like this. Couldn't believe my eyes. He's been through a lot over the past year but was always full and happy until today. Was starting to remove him to try and place him on the sand bed in a really low flow area but saw that there was a bristle worm already being opportunistic.

So I started testing:

Temp: 78f
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0.04 ppm
Nitrate: 4 ppm :(
Calcium: 450 ppm
Alkalinity: 10.5 dKH
Magnesium: 1380 ppm

Red Sea Reef Foundation A, B, and C (Calc, Alk, Mag).
AlgaeFix (to help with that hair algae problem you can see in the photo)
Running Carbon and GFO in a dual reactor (set up about 2-3 weeks ago)

Don't know what's going on. Besides the Nitrate being high, it looks like the rest of my parameters are within tolerance. I reduced my light cycle by 1 hour yesterday, so its at 6 hours full light, with a 3 hour ramp up and down on an AI Hydra.

Can anyone help me please? I really want to figure out what's going on before I move to a larger tank within the next 6 months.

10/03/2014, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't remove. I had mushroom seem to completely die during a prolonged power outage but eventually came back.

10/03/2014, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't give up yet. Sometimes shrooms deflate for no apparent reason.

10/03/2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the support.

10/04/2014, 07:41 AM
He might be splitting..had a ric that went missing for a few days little did I know he was attached to my frofspawn...look like crap first but came back like a champ

10/06/2014, 10:44 PM
Wow that is weird... do you have any fish that might pick on it?

10/07/2014, 09:02 AM
Wow that is weird... do you have any fish that might pick on it?

Nope, none go near it. I have 2 perculia clowns and an orchid dottyback.

It still didn't look right and I removed it yesterday during my water change. Had a bristle worm behind it that was already feeding on the dead stuff. Pain in the butt to remove as well. Seemed like he was attached in 2 different spots and ended up tearing him out; created a mess in the tank. Good thing I was in the process of doing a water change, so I just siphoned out as much guts as I could and I'll let my live rock and skimmer do the rest.

The only positive about removing him is that now I can turn my MP10 up more and try to get rid of all the dead spots in my tank. When I get the SR-60 in the coming months I will have a lower flow section down the bottom that will be a mushroom island :)