PDA

View Full Version : Is there a skimmer safe soap?

Jeff000
10/03/2014, 07:49 PM
I try my best to not go into my tank with my hands, but it's unavoidable.

And every time I do it collapses the bubble head on my skimmer for a few hours at least.

I've tried several soaps, just tap water just RO water, water change water.

But there has to be a way to avoid this.

I have a vertex alpha 300.

bfin3
10/03/2014, 07:51 PM
Never heard of that. Must have more to do with the water displaced by your hands than soap?

Aquarist007
10/03/2014, 08:06 PM
I clean six skimmers a day with tap water and bare hands.. Never a problem
Just make sure there is no residual on the inside . If so use vinegar on a rag

Mebbid
10/03/2014, 08:17 PM
So when you reach into your tank with your hands it stops skimming properly for a few hours?

I would assume that 1 of 2 things are happening. Either a. the oils on your skin could be preventing proper formation of the bubbles, or b. like bfin said; it might have something to do with the displacement of the water in your tank.

Jeff000
10/04/2014, 01:24 AM
So when you reach into your tank with your hands it stops skimming properly for a few hours?

I would assume that 1 of 2 things are happening. Either a. the oils on your skin could be preventing proper formation of the bubbles, or b. like bfin said; it might have something to do with the displacement of the water in your tank.

I have ~400 gallons of water in the system. I would need to displace ~4 gallons of water to have the sump level rise.

How do I get the oils off then?

I kinda hate this skimmer, I never feel like it skims properly. :headwallblue:

dkeller_nc
10/04/2014, 09:28 AM
Introducing detergent into your tank would make your skimmer go crazy, not stop skimming. Fats and oils, however, would produce the effect that you notice. Reef Nutrition's Oyster Feast, for example, is loaded with fatty acids and lipids, and shuts down skimming in my tank for several hours after I add it.

If you're concerned about the effect, simply wash your hands with hand dishwashing detergent and rinse in hot water.

wildman926
10/04/2014, 09:37 AM
I try my best to not go into my tank with my hands, but it's unavoidable.

And every time I do it collapses the bubble head on my skimmer for a few hours at least.

I've tried several soaps, just tap water just RO water, water change water.

But there has to be a way to avoid this.

I have a vertex alpha 300.

It is acting normal. Worry about something else that really matters.

slief
10/04/2014, 09:53 AM
I had an Alpha 300 in my 600 gallon system and it did the same thing when I put my hands in the tank. My new Supermarin 250 does the same thing too but it's not as sensitive and the effects don't seem to last as long. It also happens when I feed mysis and other frozen foods. As others said, it's normal and from oils and other things in your skin. Becausee the Alpha 300 uses two pumps, the impacts on the Alpha may be slightly more than it would be on a single pump skimmer. If you want to prevent it, use long arms length gloves.

whiteshark
10/04/2014, 11:17 AM
Agree with the above suggestion. Wear long gloves when working in the tank.

WT_JayJay
10/04/2014, 05:20 PM
I'd say it's oils on your hands. Only because when ever I feed a lot of PE mysis some of our skimmers do the same

Aquarist007
10/04/2014, 09:34 PM
Break a capsule or two of fish oil near the skimmer as a test

billsreef
10/05/2014, 09:56 AM
Most likely the oils on your hands. Also something I wouldn't worry about. Not really a problem for the tank if the skimmer isn't skimming 100% for a couple of hours every once in a while ;)