PDA

View Full Version : How to raise skimmer level in sump?

Vapour1ze
10/04/2014, 11:17 AM
I need to raise my skimmer about two inches. What is the best way to do this?

drew2007
10/04/2014, 11:22 AM
Egg crate and zip ties are your friend. Cut em to fit the base of skimmer. Zip tie em together and your good to go. Or you can get fancy and make a "box" with the egg crate that the skimmer will stand on.

DasCamel
10/04/2014, 11:37 AM
I got cheap white marble tile from Lowes clearance, got them cut and used a stack.

I tried other methods, but this was a lot more solid and doesn't move in the flow.

slief
10/04/2014, 11:41 AM
Egg crate is simple and readily available at places like Home Depot or Lowes. You can use egg crate legs or cut PVC pipe to for the legs and zip tie it together. Personally, I prefer a custom built acrylic stand which is what I've always used. If the support legs box the top of the stand in on all 4 sides, it will prevent detritus from settling below the skimmer unlike the egg crate method. I'd be reluctant to use marble or other stone because you never know what might be in it. Things like iron and other metals can be present in different types of rock.

phillrodrigo
10/04/2014, 12:04 PM
I was gonna use a milk crate for mine. Cut it down some. The egg crate is flimsy. It's insane they have all these laws about taking the milk crates for other purposes but my milk guy will not take them we have a huge stack in front of the restaurant. We end up throwing them away we end up with so many.

cloak
10/04/2014, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure what the footprint is like on your skimmer, but you could just superglue a few plastic tops from a Gatorade bottle or something to the bottom. Stack them if you have to. Piece of cake.

non-ricer
10/04/2014, 12:43 PM
I've used eggcrates and even a flipped over Rubbermaid container...

icebrg5
10/04/2014, 12:50 PM
Originally i used eggcrate and just stacked pieces of it up until i got the height that was needed but detritus always built up all through out the egg crate so then i just used pvc and made legs and only used one piece of eggcrate and just zip tied the legs to the eggcrate. I still get detritus built up underneath the skimmer but nothing like before and now once a week or so i just use a turkey baster to stir up the detritus in the sump.

whiteshark
10/04/2014, 12:54 PM
Eggcrate and PVC pipe for me. Every month or so I take the skimmer out, remove the stand, and suck out the detritus but honestly it's not that necessary. I don't get much buildup, even without a filter sock, but I'm pretty anal about keeping things clean.

phillrodrigo
10/04/2014, 01:10 PM
Mine is near the drains. The water falling pushes the derititus to the other side. I figured there was a mountain under mine. I pulled it out and there wasn't anything.

kelrn98
10/04/2014, 02:24 PM
Egg crate, pvc, and zip ties for me.

Buzz1329
10/04/2014, 04:30 PM
Depending on the skimmer/pump footprint, this might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Bakeware-Quart-Oblong-Baking/dp/B00004SZ7N/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1412461761&sr=1-1&keywords=glass+casserole+dish

Vapour1ze
10/04/2014, 04:53 PM
I did the egg crate and pvc came out great. Thanks

ingtar_shinowa
10/04/2014, 07:04 PM
I cut a piece of acrylic to the same footprint as my skimmer and used pvc feet. I had used stacked eggcrate but it was a nitrate factory with the trapped detritus.

Av8bluewater
10/04/2014, 10:49 PM
I cut a piece of acrylic to the same footprint as my skimmer and used pvc feet. I had used stacked eggcrate but it was a nitrate factory with the trapped detritus.
Exact same here.
Easy to keep clean.

DasCamel
10/05/2014, 12:23 AM
Egg crate is simple and readily available at places like Home Depot or Lowes. You can use egg crate legs or cut PVC pipe to for the legs and zip tie it together. Personally, I prefer a custom built acrylic stand which is what I've always used. If the support legs box the top of the stand in on all 4 sides, it will prevent detritus from settling below the skimmer unlike the egg crate method. I'd be reluctant to use marble or other stone because you never know what might be in it. Things like iron and other metals can be present in different types of rock.

Marble/limestone doesn't leach much of anything unless pH really drops. Picked white since it's more pure. I agree on not throwing in random tiles.

With the sump drains in the area, not much of anything anything gets trapped.

jscarlata
10/05/2014, 01:54 PM
When I did mine, I used PVC pipe and made a square using regular fittings and pipe, then put egg crate on top. Easiest and fool proof way to make it uniform height all around without having to measure and cut things to identical length/height...

mkfmedic
10/05/2014, 04:59 PM
+1. Did the same. Used a solid piece of acrylic and 1" PVC couplings glued to the bottom with crazy glue gel. All available at Home Depot. Raised my skimmer about 2.75 inches!

DamonG
10/05/2014, 05:14 PM
Eggcrate stand. I simply super glued Eggcrate together making a stand. It covers the bottom of the sump and because it's Eggcrate, water flows through it, and because it's in the chamber with the downspout, there is enough force to kick up anything. If I need to eventually, I can and will add a powerhead. But it's stirring up so much water, along with the outpouring of the skimmer, that I don't think I really well need to do so.

IdahoCindy
10/06/2014, 06:11 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but why not just lower the water level?

Flippers4pups
10/06/2014, 06:27 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but why not just lower the water level?

He's most likely got his in its own chamber. No lowering water level.

fishrfriends268
10/08/2014, 03:59 AM

emgunz
10/08/2014, 05:28 AM
Depends on the size of your skimmer base. I have a large skimmer and I took the top off a bucket of aquavitro salinity salt. Very sturdy and very close to 2". It fits the base almost perfectly abd required no modification or even stabilization.

Tom39
10/09/2014, 12:13 PM
I cut to fit a piece of 1/4 acrylic, drilled and tapped 1/4" holes and used 1/4" nylon bolts to raise and lower the plate.
Hope it helps,
Tom G

whosurcaddie
10/09/2014, 03:34 PM
Depends on the size of your skimmer base. I have a large skimmer and I took the top off a bucket of aquavitro salinity salt. Very sturdy and very close to 2". It fits the base almost perfectly abd required no modification or even stabilization.

I used the top of a salt bucket as well. But I used pvc attached to the bottom to raise it a little more.