PDA

View Full Version : puzzled over fish diseas, please help!

fishbreath69
10/05/2014, 10:35 AM
A little background info first. 5 weeks ago I put 3 fish into a 20g long qt. A very healthy mandarin, a blue tang that has mhlld, and a matted file fish. The file fish came from a lfs, the other 2 came from an established tank. 2.5 weeks ago I noticed some cloud eye on the blue tang, and the blue tang had large white spots on one eye, way bigger than ich spots Ibe seen. and file fish had cloud eye too, I tried treating with furan 2. Within 3 days the mandrain was dead and the cloud eye was still there. The mandarin looked like it had velvet the day it died. I treated with ich-x for 10 days, the cloud eye on the blue tang went away in about 5 days, the filefish still has a light haze this morning. But the white spots are back on the blue tang. Both fish are eating great, swimming and playing fine. No scratching at all, ever. Breathing completely normal, no other issues at all.... test results this morning are as follows, ammonia 0, NO2 0, NO3 0, PH 8.0, and salinity 1.024.

Anyou input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Newsmyrna80
10/05/2014, 11:09 AM
Did any of the fish exhibit white spots on their body? Why did you treat with Furan, then IchX (useless by the way)? Can you post pics of either fish? Cloudy eyes can be a sign of an infection or flukes.

fishbreath69
10/05/2014, 11:26 AM
No other white spots anywhere, I tried the furan in case it was bacterial, yah I won't do that again... lol. As for the ich x I thought it might be worth a try. I did treat with prazipro when I first put them into qt, and I started a 2nd treatment of prazipro yesterday. I'll get some pics in a few mins too. I was wondering if it could be lymphocystis on the eye? I've had 2 fish get it on the body and head a while back and didn't look like this at all, so I'm doubtful.

fishbreath69
10/05/2014, 12:02 PM
Here's a pic of the file fish, I couldn't get one of the blue tang

wooden_reefer
10/05/2014, 01:19 PM
You made a few mistakes

As much as I prefer to buy all the fish and qt all at once, I will never mix fish from a home established tank with fish from lfs

Lfs is always higher risk

Further I will never mix a mandarin goby with most other fish. The mandarin has special dietary and drug treatment requirements.

If I were lucky enough to get an adapted mandarin, I will treat it alone with special attention to its requirements

fishbreath69
10/05/2014, 01:36 PM
I totally agree with you wooden reefer, I'll definately never do that again.

Newsmyrna80
10/05/2014, 04:34 PM
Are those spots on the fish or on the glass? I'm sure you've removed the IchX. Good move on the Prazi. Have you tried a FW dip?

fishbreath69
10/05/2014, 04:53 PM
Those are the hairs, or whatever they are, on the filefish. I haven't done a few dip, the only thing that seem wrong with him is the cloudy eyes. No flashing, or scratching or anything else.