PDA

View Full Version : Pump air from outside

hkgar
10/05/2014, 11:04 AM
I am looking for an air pump that I can attach the 1/2 tube I have coming in from the outside. What I want to do is pump outside air into my sump. I am switching to a Lifereef protein skimmer and I understand that it does not function properly if air is not pulled from inside the skimmer cup. I haven't seen it yet so not sure how it hooks up.

I would like to run an air stone in the sump to maintain ph.

If I can't find an air pump to pull in outside air, I will push air through a CO2 scrubber with an air pump and then to the sump.

azjohnny
10/05/2014, 11:27 AM
What are your PH levels? IMO as long as it doesn't get below 7.8 I think you will be ok, Its more important to have a consistent PH level

I have a LR skimmer and if you want to bring in outside air I think you would need to drill a 2nd hole in the skimmer cup ( I don't know if it is worth it) Also I don't think you need a pump to deliver the outside air, just a tube going outside would be good

A LR skimmer will still operate if pulling air from outside the skimmer cup It will just be higher maintenance

hkgar
10/05/2014, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=azjohnny;23152421] Also I don't think you need a pump to deliver the outside air, just a tube going outside would be QUOTE]

I have a tube going to the outside. How would I operate an air stone in the sump? Something would have to push the air through the tube.

Ricks@reef
10/05/2014, 07:29 PM
I don't think you want to address a low ph problem by using an air stone in the sump. Most of us work hard at eliminating micro bubbles in our sumps to keep our dt clear.

hkgar
10/06/2014, 12:46 PM
I have run airstones in the sump before and no bubbles reached the DT. The air stone was in the inlet chamber and the bubbles need to go through the next 3 chambers to get to the DT.

Crusinjimbo
10/07/2014, 05:53 AM
I run outside air directly to the skimmer pump air feed via a 3/8" ID tube. There is a DIY air filter at the inlet and the tube is about 36" long. PH remains relatively constant regardless of the CO2 level in this tight Florida home.

hkgar
10/07/2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks Jimbo, but that doesn't work with a Lifereef skimmer.

James77
10/07/2014, 04:01 PM
They are venturi driven, right? Can that not pull air in from a wider pipe?