PDA

View Full Version : Best way to increase tank salinity

92reefer
10/05/2014, 04:00 PM
I just did a major water change in my 60g cube (changed 32 gallons).

I'm trying to get clean the tank up from a nasty algae problem.

So I just checked the salinity with my hydrometer and it's reading about 1.024 to 1.025

What's the best way to increase the overall salinity?

I have a 5 gallon topoff mixed with Mrs Wages so I don't think I want to mix saltwater in that circuit?

Drae
10/05/2014, 04:14 PM
What's wrong with 1.024-25? That's fine imo

92reefer
10/05/2014, 04:35 PM
I'm using IO and when I test it's usually low on Magnesium, Alk and CA.

Several reefers suggested that I run salinity a bit higher which in turn would boost the MAG CA and ALK so I wouldn't have to dose so much to balance the tank? Is that bad advice?

3eight33
10/05/2014, 05:41 PM
If you were running your salinity on the lower side than no. But Imo your salinity is about as high as you're going to want it. But to answer your question (even though I strongly recommend you do more research before raising your salinity any higher), when I need to raise mine for whatever reason, I mix up a gallon of Rodi with 6 cups of salt. I than take that salt mixture and add a small amount (maybe 1 cup or so) into the system twice a day in a high flow spot. This will slowly bring the salinity up without any problems

3eight33
10/05/2014, 05:44 PM
In order to use that salt mix as a means of increasing you calcium, alk and mag levels, you would need to be doing bigger water changes more often. You could always look into changing your salt brand as well. Some will mix into much higher levels. If that's what your looking for. I personally would keep my salinity levels in the proper ranges and start looking into dosing your levels to where you want them

mfinn
10/05/2014, 05:47 PM
I'm using IO and when I test it's usually low on Magnesium, Alk and CA.

Several reefers suggested that I run salinity a bit higher which in turn would boost the MAG CA and ALK so I wouldn't have to dose so much to balance the tank? Is that bad advice?

If you are looking for higher ca, alk, and mg numbers, use a salt that tests higher in those numbers, like Reef Crystals.

3eight33
10/05/2014, 05:59 PM
Exactly what he said. That's what I use. Plus I've found thru trial and error how much of a water change I need to do and how often to maintain my levels where I want them

Realposition
10/05/2014, 06:16 PM
If you were running your salinity on the lower side than no. But Imo your salinity is about as high as you're going to want it. But to answer your question (even though I strongly recommend you do more research before raising your salinity any higher), when I need to raise mine for whatever reason, I mix up a gallon of Rodi with 6 cups of salt. I than take that salt mixture and add a small amount (maybe 1 cup or so) into the system twice a day in a high flow spot. This will slowly bring the salinity up without any problems

I'm not sure why you're suggesting 1.024 is as high as he would want it, 1.026 should be your target.

For raising salinity I would just top off with saltwater as opposed to rodi till you reach 1.026. Mixing the salt mix up to 1.026 as opposed to 1.024 will give you slightly higher cal/alk/mag levels but I don't think it will make a huge difference. If weekly water changes aren't keeping up with your consumption then you might start looking into 2 part to keep cal and all where you like it.

3eight33
10/05/2014, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure why you're suggesting 1.024 is as high as he would want it, 1.026 should be your target.

For raising salinity I would just top off with saltwater as opposed to rodi till you reach 1.026. Mixing the salt mix up to 1.026 as opposed to 1.024 will give you slightly higher cal/alk/mag levels but I don't think it will make a huge difference. If weekly water changes aren't keeping up with your consumption then you might start looking into 2 part to keep cal and all where you like it.

He said 1.024 to 1.025. He's pretty close to being at the high range of what's acceptable

92reefer
10/05/2014, 06:45 PM

That's what I was told. 1.026 target.

I don't do many water changes as opposed to larger less frequent changes. I am running Mrs Wages lime in my topoff (5tsp to 5 gallons) to help stabilize ALK and CA

3eight33
10/05/2014, 06:49 PM
Next time read the post than post an OPINION. don't forget, he's using a hydrometer. Not nearly as accurate. Very easy to over shoot your mark when you play that close to the line.

92reefer
10/05/2014, 07:06 PM
Next time read the post than post an OPINION. don't forget, he's using a hydrometer. Not nearly as accurate. Very easy to over shoot your mark when you play that close to the line.

I'm sorry guys. I made a mistake. I am using a Premium Aquatics refractometer so I think my measurement if fairly adequate.

3eight33
10/05/2014, 07:13 PM
Even if it is, 1.026 as the highest recommend salinity level. If you wish to take it up to that than its fine. But still I highly doubt that raising your salinity by 0.001 is going to give you the levels that you want. Certainly no harm in it. Just be careful taking the salinity to that level. It gives you very little leeway if something goes wrong. Like an ato not working for a day.

JoelA7
10/05/2014, 10:20 PM
+1 to using salt water for ATO to slowly raise the salinity of your tank.

Realposition
10/06/2014, 12:30 AM

Even if it is, 1.026 as the highest recommend salinity level. If you wish to take it up to that than its fine. But still I highly doubt that raising your salinity by 0.001 is going to give you the levels that you want. Certainly no harm in it. Just be careful taking the salinity to that level. It gives you very little leeway if something goes wrong. Like an ato not working for a day.

sorry but a target salinity of 1.0264 is not a opinion. im sure if he goes to 1.027 nothing bad will happen, if he goes to 1.028 its unlikely anything bad will happen, its the same deviation as 1.024. Im just suggesting he start taking steps to correct it. here is a article that might shed some light on the subject
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/

for OP, Kalk in the ATO is a great way to maintain correct Cal/Alk levels but its not a great way to raise it as it can cause a spike it PH. my suggestion would be to raise the levels to what you are targeting by using 2 part then you can use your Kalk to maintain it. if your 5tsp to 5 gallons is not enough to hold it you can always add more kalk to your 5 gallons till you are able to maintain good levels. Also you were correct in your original post that since you use kalk in your ATO you cant use saltwater in the circuit. hope that helps

Xavibear
10/06/2014, 07:00 AM
1.026 is the recommended salinity for keeping a reef tank.

Agree with the above, start mixing your water to 1.026 & top off with saltwater until you reach the desired level.

Dmorty217
10/06/2014, 09:01 AM
Don't raise your salinity more than .003 per 24 hrs otherwise you cause a lot of unneeded stress and possible disease outbreak in your tank if not

92reefer
10/06/2014, 12:18 PM
Great. Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm going to turn the limewater ATO off and start adding saltwater to replace evaporation.

92reefer
10/08/2014, 05:11 PM
OK. So I tested my levels after changing over 50% of the water in my system and I don't get the results. Used Salifert test kits for all:

CA 330
Alk 6.6
MAG 1185

I figured my levels would be low but didn't expect all 3 of the vitals to be this low. I suspected that my refractometer was off and the overall salinity was very low so I took it to a local reef store and compared to their calibrated refractometer. Dead on both read 1.025 on my water sample.

SOOOOO.... I guess I have a lot of boosting to get the levels to decent parameters. I use Randy's home made 2 part. Baking soda to boost ALK and Prestone Driveway Heat to boost CA. I have BRS mag 2 part mix to boost the MAG.

In terms of dosing which do I go after first to be safe ALK, CA, or MAG or in what order to get my levels in check?

Nicmar
10/08/2014, 05:40 PM
IMO Mag first since that is what balances the other two.
Then I do kh and ca.

In this situation I would do a 20% water change then dosing mag and then slowly bring up your kh to what you want which should be suitable for the coral stock and nutrient level. Then dose ca until you reach what you want.

mfinn
10/08/2014, 06:00 PM
Still not sure why, if you are worried about your ca. alk and mag numbers, why you just don't switch to a salt mix that will deliver higher numbers.

Using Instant Ocean, you will always have the lower numbers.

Nicmar
10/08/2014, 06:11 PM
Still not sure why, if you are worried about your ca. alk and mag numbers, why you just don't switch to a salt mix that will deliver higher numbers.

Using Instant Ocean, you will always have the lower numbers.

I agree, no point using low numbers since you always want more not less.

mfinn
10/08/2014, 06:15 PM
Instant Ocean is a great salt. I used it for 28+ years on my fish only and my softy tanks.
But when I wanted to get better numbers from the salt mix, I use Reef Crystals or Kent Marine.

Aquarist007
10/08/2014, 08:50 PM
OK. So I tested my levels after changing over 50% of the water in my system and I don't get the results. Used Salifert test kits for all:

CA 330
Alk 6.6
MAG 1185

I figured my levels would be low but didn't expect all 3 of the vitals to be this low. I suspected that my refractometer was off and the overall salinity was very low so I took it to a local reef store and compared to their calibrated refractometer. Dead on both read 1.025 on my water sample.

SOOOOO.... I guess I have a lot of boosting to get the levels to decent parameters. I use Randy's home made 2 part. Baking soda to boost ALK and Prestone Driveway Heat to boost CA. I have BRS mag 2 part mix to boost the MAG.

In terms of dosing which do I go after first to be safe ALK, CA, or MAG or in what order to get my levels in check?

How is your tank stocked? Your numbers are far off from what you should be getting with Reef Crystals.
I'd raise cal to 390 and alk to 7.8 . Check with the chemical calculator on how fast you can raise those levels . Then use Tech-M to raise your mag levels as it won't affect the pH. Baking soda will at first but only temporarily

Link to chemical calculator
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

92reefer
10/09/2014, 02:25 PM
Yes thanks to all for the help and replies.

I had 2 bags of IO left so that's why I used it. My LFS has Reef Crystals but it's like 25 bucks more for a 200 gal package. I'm going to pony up and switch Reef Crystals after the IO is gone.

Mixed up my MAG using the BRS mix (7 1/4 cup mag chloride and 3/4 cup mag sulfate to 1 gallon RO/DI). I was told to use this ratio by BRS because I'm using Lime in my ATO topoff reservoir.

Once the MAG is in I'll be adjusting the ALK using Baking Soda and then finally using the Prestone Driveway Heat to bring the CA close to 400 ppm. We'll see how that goes and I'm hoping to have taken a big step toward irradicating my algae problem (switched to BRS reactor running GFO and ROX carbon 50/50 mixture sandwiched between 2 foam pads) :)

mfinn
10/09/2014, 02:55 PM
Checkout Dr. Foster and Smith and Petsolutions for the 200 gallon boxes when you get ready to buy more.
They go on sale quite often.

On my 50 gallon lps/sps tank I use Reef Crystals and even with the higher numbers, I use kalkwasser in my topoff, instead of dosing.

92reefer
10/09/2014, 03:09 PM
Checkout Dr. Foster and Smith and Petsolutions for the 200 gallon boxes when you get ready to buy more.
They go on sale quite often.

On my 50 gallon lps/sps tank I use Reef Crystals and even with the higher numbers, I use kalkwasser in my topoff, instead of dosing.

How much Kalkwasser/Lime do you add per gallon and do you supplement by adding vinegar?

sniceley
10/09/2014, 03:20 PM
Problem with keeping the salinity at the high end is if you don't top off regularly you could push it too high and stress the animals out. All of the invertebrates are euryhaline, that is their blood salinity is the same as the water they are in. Fish however are not, they have to constantly battle to keep water since their blood is less salty than seawater. It is why we can go hyposalinity and they are fine. The salinity any higher normal is just added energy needs to prevent water loss for fish. I have been keeping my salinity at 1.025 for 17 years now and no problems at all. This way if I take a long weekend and don't top off I don't push it too high.

mfinn
10/09/2014, 04:34 PM
How much Kalkwasser/Lime do you add per gallon and do you supplement by adding vinegar?

I mix 2-3 tablespoons of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime in 5 gallons of ro/di water and let it settle for 24 hours, then siphon off the clear liquid and add it to my topoff container.
I don't use vinegar.

mfinn
10/09/2014, 04:36 PM
Problem with keeping the salinity at the high end is if you don't top off regularly you could push it too high and stress the animals out. All of the invertebrates are euryhaline, that is their blood salinity is the same as the water they are in. Fish however are not, they have to constantly battle to keep water since their blood is less salty than seawater. It is why we can go hyposalinity and they are fine. The salinity any higher normal is just added energy needs to prevent water loss for fish. I have been keeping my salinity at 1.025 for 17 years now and no problems at all. This way if I take a long weekend and don't top off I don't push it too high.

I do keep mine a little low too.
I even kept my softy tanks around 1.023 for 15+ years.

92reefer
10/09/2014, 05:14 PM
I mix 2-3 tablespoons of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime in 5 gallons of ro/di water and let it settle for 24 hours, then siphon off the clear liquid and add it to my topoff container.
I don't use vinegar.

I was told that I could just add the Mrs Wages directly to my 5 gallon jug, shake to mix and add directly into my 5 gallon glass topoff tank under my sump? There is powder residual that accumulates on the bottom of the tank but I just use a square plastic container every month or so and scrape up the excess fines and discard when the level in the reservoir gets nice and low?

mfinn
10/09/2014, 05:23 PM
You really should let the kalk powder settle out.
I can't explain it properly. I'll have to find a good explanation from Randy.

mfinn
10/09/2014, 05:26 PM
I read somewhere that he said there is stuff that you don't want to let get into your tank that settles out.
I'm sure someone has a technical explanation here.

mfinn
10/09/2014, 05:31 PM
I was told that I could just add the Mrs Wages directly to my 5 gallon jug, shake to mix and add directly into my 5 gallon glass topoff tank under my sump? There is powder residual that accumulates on the bottom of the tank but I just use a square plastic container every month or so and scrape up the excess fines and discard when the level in the reservoir gets nice and low?

If the top off doesn't start up, while the power is still stirred up in your top off container, there shouldn't be a problem.

I found this.
This is a quote from RHF:

"It is not desirable to stir constantly as that just drives more CO2 into the water, depleting the limewater unless you have very carefully sealed it.

Any solids you have after mixing for an hour or two are probably not calcium hydroxide but rather calcium carbonate that has formed between the CO2 in the air and the limewater. There's no need to want to dose that. Letting it settle out is a better plan as it takes impurities out with it (such as heavy metals and phosphate). "