PDA

View Full Version : Any advice to help my hammer corals propagate?

TStud1986
10/05/2014, 05:53 PM
Hello all,

I've had a 5 headed piece of hammer coral for about 6 months. They look really great, and seem very happy and healthy. Yet I have not noticed any new pieces of flesh growing or seeing any heads splitting. Is there anything i can do to encourage more growth?

moulton712
10/05/2014, 06:24 PM
Lps tend to like dirty water. One tank I had the water was so clean my frogspawn wouldn't grow. I had a different tank which I puposly over fed. I was getting a couple new heads a month. That dirty tank was way harder to keep visually clean. A lot more maintenance. Still do water changes and dose appropriately.

TStud1986
10/05/2014, 06:38 PM
Lps tend to like dirty water. One tank I had the water was so clean my frogspawn wouldn't grow. I had a different tank which I puposly over fed. I was getting a couple new heads a month. That dirty tank was way harder to keep visually clean. A lot more maintenance. Still do water changes and dose appropriately.

Thanks for the insight I appreciate it! I actually over feed my fish already so maybe that'll help them to grow better :)

Fish Biscuit
10/05/2014, 08:37 PM
If it's an Aussie hammer they grow slower than those from Indonesia. I have 2 Aussie hammers that just split in the last week & I've had them since March or April. I added a Duncan at the same time & probably have at least 10 new heads on it.

TStud1986
10/05/2014, 09:06 PM
If it's an Aussie hammer they grow slower than those from Indonesia. I have 2 Aussie hammers that just split in the last week & I've had them since March or April. I added a Duncan at the same time & probably have at least 10 new heads on it.

I had purchased it from my lfs; and of course it was listed only as a hammer coral so I'm not quite sure which kind it is?!? IM pretty sure it's not the wall hammer or whatever they call it if that makes sense at all lol. They're are on a branched stoney skeleton and are green and purple with nice big heads on them

Big_Boss_77
10/06/2014, 03:44 AM
Do you spot feed them? That seems to turn the trick for a lot of people

thegrun
10/06/2014, 06:53 AM
Dim the lights, Barry White on the stereo... Keep your alkalinity and calcium levels up and most importantly stable.

Carlosroach
10/06/2014, 09:42 AM
How often do you spot feed?

cloak
10/06/2014, 01:06 PM
As long as your parameters are kept within reason, the lighting is sufficient, and the coral is receiving the right amount of flow, it's only a matter of time before it starts to split. Just be patient.

How long has the tank been set up btw?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/corals

TStud1986
10/06/2014, 07:49 PM
Do you spot feed them? That seems to turn the trick for a lot of people

Yes I do spot feed em twice a week. Rods reef frenzy food

TStud1986
10/06/2014, 07:51 PM
Dim the lights, Barry White on the stereo... Keep your alkalinity and calcium levels up and most importantly stable.

Haha too funny about the Barry white and dim lights... I try to keep levels as stable as possible but without any of the automated stuff it's a little more difficult lol

TStud1986
10/06/2014, 07:56 PM
As long as your parameters are kept within reason, the lighting is sufficient, and the coral is receiving the right amount of flow, it's only a matter of time before it starts to split. Just be patient.

How long has the tank been set up btw?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/corals

Very interesting article thanks f9r the reference material I would definitely have to say that it's a branching hammer coral after looking at that. And the tanks been set up for awhile but I've personally owned it and maintained it for a little over a year now

cloak
10/07/2014, 12:20 PM
Check this out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/8/aafeature1

HTH.