PDA

View Full Version : To DSB or Not to DSB!

JustAHobbiest
10/06/2014, 07:35 AM
Hello everyone, the names Chris. Im new to the RC and fairly new to saltwater. As all new hobbiest I've been doing plenty of researching and finally I have found a topic I just can't seem to get an answer to, sand beds. My tank is a 180g bowfront pre-drilled with a 40g DIY sump. I plan on it being a reef with fish mix. I'd really love to know everything there is about sand beds the pros, the cons, and what really is the best method and how to go about maintaining it. Thanks in advance.

murdock84
10/06/2014, 08:52 AM
There are articles about sand beds here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=803688

reefgeezer
10/06/2014, 08:58 AM
There are lot of ways to reduce nitrate. A DSB is certainly one of them if you can manage it correctly. However, it isn't as simple as it seems to make a DSB work for the long haul. I'd stay away from a DSB unless you truly understand how they work.

SGT_York
10/06/2014, 09:11 AM
Too many problems with a DSB to recommend it for. You need the fauna built up for it to work correctly and not turn anoxic, keep with a small sand bed and in a few months consider adding more sand.

swk
10/06/2014, 11:05 AM
I use a dsb in my fuge. Wouldn't dare use one in my tank

shermanator
10/06/2014, 11:31 AM
If you only want it to reduce nitrates, use an RDSB in a bucket fed from your sump.

If you want it for all of the DSB fauna, then use the fuge section of your sump for the DSB.

I'd say no matter what, since you are "fairly new" to the hobby, I'd keep it out of your DT.

JustAHobbiest
10/08/2014, 01:42 PM
So with that bein said.. I take it all of you go the Chaeto way?

JustAHobbiest
10/08/2014, 01:47 PM
Btw thanks for all the replies really appreciate it.

Nicmar
10/08/2014, 04:04 PM
I am setting up a new tank from 4ft bare bottom to 5ft.
I had a shallow sand bed in my 4ft and removed it as it just fills up with detritus and takes at least an hour a week to clean.

In the new tank I will be using a DSB as they are easier to look after and you don't need to clean the detritus out. There are many other benefits which is why I am using one. Shallow ones are a lot of work to look nice. If I had kept my sand I would have given up by now due to the hours to keep it looking mint.
Saying that if you have 2 clowns and that is it then probably ok but I have tangs which crap every time you feed.

IMO stick with bare bottom until you have enough knowledge to go DSB.

reefgeezer
10/08/2014, 04:42 PM
So with that bein said.. I take it all of you go the Chaeto way?

If you are talking about in the fuge section of your sump maybe the best option is to do nothing for now. You can always add something later.

HCJohn
10/08/2014, 09:03 PM
I had a DSB years ago, but it sure seems to be fading in popularity.