PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Maxspect Razor ever had issues?

Jyetman
10/06/2014, 01:29 PM
Mine is about two years old and today I noticed the unit shut off for a second then came back on. Looking closer the unit periodically flickers. Anyone had this issue before and if so what was the problem?

cherubfish pair
10/06/2014, 04:30 PM
You might have a bad power supply unit.

AdamNC
10/06/2014, 04:41 PM
Haven't had any issues yet. But I second getting the power supply looked at.

Jyetman
10/06/2014, 04:51 PM
Don't think its power supply. I was tapping the end where the power cord comes into the unit it started to flicker even flickered when moving the cord. That cord is way hot especially around that removable connecter.

AdamNC
10/06/2014, 05:23 PM
Pretty much sounds like you found the issue. If I were you I'd give the guys at CoralVu a call and see who can service it if they can not. In the mean time while it's getting repaired you may have to pick up a t-5 light fixture.

Jyetman
10/06/2014, 05:59 PM
Pretty much sounds like you found the issue. If I were you I'd give the guys at CoralVu a call and see who can service it if they can not. In the mean time while it's getting repaired you may have to pick up a t-5 light fixture.

I knew something like this was eventually going to happen when I bought the Maxspect LED fixture so keeping that old Power Compact unit was the right thing after all! LOL

phillrodrigo
10/06/2014, 06:04 PM
They used to have issues with ends melting. Not sure if the issue was fixed. Maybe it's happening in a different spot now.

Jyetman
10/06/2014, 06:45 PM
Not sure don't see anything visual in that area. I put a fan blowing across where its hot in the mean time. Now just waiting to hear back from maxspect.

Jyetman
10/08/2014, 10:25 AM
Put the power compact fixture on my tank temporarily until the razor is fixed and all I can say is YUCK!!!

Jyetman
10/08/2014, 06:09 PM
Since my unit is out of warranty figure I will fix it myself was just hoping $500 would had lasted 5 years yeah right those who argue china made is great quality can kiss my @(#)&$! Reassessing future purchases unless they have more then one year warranty lesson learned! There's only two PCB boards to replace the driver and controller and at least there easy to replace. Just ordered the driver board figure that must be the culprit due to its excessive heat and past issues.

SaltieG
10/08/2014, 06:49 PM
Mine needed a new circuit board when it was only weeks old and then I had to re-solder a connection which seemed to fix it.

Jyetman
10/08/2014, 06:54 PM
Don't get me wrong I love the light output and for the price is reasonable compared to the other high price units just wish it would had lasted a bit longer before ripping it apart. My old Coralife dual power compact unit is over 10 years old and still works with the exception of "ironically" the led moon lights.

Derekjon35
10/09/2014, 09:35 AM
Im trading my Maxspect for an A360WE. While I loved the Maxspect for a while, its a little to purple for me.

Jyetman
10/11/2014, 03:39 PM
Got my driver board installed and all is working again! Was a easy job.

Jyetman
10/13/2014, 04:49 PM
bump

Eric45
10/14/2014, 09:11 AM
No problems so far, only about 6 mos. though. I do run a quiet fan over the power supply just to keep it cooler and use the internal fan less -- it's quite loud.

Jyetman
10/14/2014, 03:20 PM
No problems so far, only about 6 mos. though. I do run a quiet fan over the power supply just to keep it cooler and use the internal fan less -- it's quite loud.

I've had a small fan blowing across my power supply for almost two years. Always wonder what the average life expectancy is compared to others.

Eric45
10/14/2014, 07:35 PM
Me too. I think since the internal fan goes on and off less often it must lengthen its life. But i do it more to reduce the sound of the internal fan.

Jyetman
10/14/2014, 08:14 PM
Me too. I think since the internal fan goes on and off less often it must lengthen its life. But i do it more to reduce the sound of the internal fan.

My internal fans have never run before. Are they loud?