PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Glass

Gil Cosby
10/07/2014, 12:48 AM
Hi all!

For the last few weeks, the glass on my 6-month old mixed reef tank has been getting dirty more often. I suspect I was overfeeding and have since cut back but have yet to see a change. I'm cleaning the glass in the morning and coming back in the evening and it's already dirty again. It seems to be a very light algae growth.

I've learned so much from these forums.

Thanks to everyone for all the great wisdom.

Here's the info on my tank:

50 Gal Uniquarium w/ Chiller, Apex Controller, BRS 2-Stage Dosing and Mag, bubble magus dosing pump, Radion w/ Wide Lens @ 50% intensity

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 77
pH: 8.21
dKH: 8
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Calc: 420 ppm
Mag: 1250 ppm

CodeBlueMedic
10/07/2014, 06:56 AM
I'm having similar problems and am curious about the same.

jkubec
10/07/2014, 07:25 AM
I tried feeding less and still get it if I dont clean my glass every day. My Magnivore makes quick work of the algea.

thegrun
10/07/2014, 07:46 AM
You might look into a GFO reactor to lower your phosphates.

JammyBirch
10/07/2014, 08:15 AM

That's what i was thinking... My tank is doing the same thing, fresh off of a cycle. i'm going to do a water change and if it starts filthing up the glass again i'll phosban it to death.

CodeBlueMedic
10/07/2014, 08:19 AM

My phosphates were at .25 but are now reading 0 after placing some phosguard in my filter.

Gil Cosby
10/07/2014, 10:49 AM
Just realized I forgot to include that I have a reactor running Rowa Phos.

My Phosphate levels still seem pretty low. .06

Might be time to change my RowaPhos, but I'm pretty sure you want to have SOME phosphates in the tank, totally 0 is not necessary. Is that right?

Should I change the media in there to a GFO media, rather than RowaPhos?

Thank you so much for your input.

Petrocelli.N
10/07/2014, 03:10 PM
How close are your lights to the tank ...friend of mine had a tank set up for years made a new canopy and the lights ended up like 2 inches closer to the water algea blooms like crazy made some mods moved the lights back up algea stoped