PDA

View Full Version : 4W/gallon enough for SPS?

nmotz
10/07/2014, 06:37 PM
I've been researching endlessly on all things saltwater aquarium/reefkeeping since probably July of this year and I'm exhausted. Still about 8 more months before I can buy all of the equipment I'll need to get my next system going!

Question for SPS keepers out there: Is 4 watts per gallon of lighting enough? My plan is to get a 4 bulb AquaticLife fixture that has 159W total. I've heard that this will work but need some more confirmation. The AquaticLife fixture has good reviews on every website that sells it as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

moondoggy4
10/07/2014, 07:55 PM
I would recommend a ATI fixture if you are going SPS/T-5. How big is your tank? You can find nice deals on 4 bulb ATI fixtures.

nmotz
10/07/2014, 10:16 PM
It's a 40 gallon breeder...I looked at some ATI fixtures and they were all pretty expensive. That's why I was thinking about that AquaticLife T5 system.

moondoggy4
10/07/2014, 11:29 PM
Marine Depot has been having a off and on sale on the 4 bulb ATI fixture how much is the AquaticLife fixture? I am a big fan of buying good used equipment.

nmotz
10/08/2014, 10:30 PM
The AquaticLife fixture is about $250 through just about any vendor. I have heard that ATI is the best, but the AquaticLife also has good ratings and is cheaper. I definitely do not want to use metal halides because of the heat, or LEDs because Im just not confident they can produce enough intensity.

jda
10/09/2014, 08:44 AM
If you want an SPS tank, I might suggest that you get used to spending money. You can spend it on a good light, or buying replacement corals.

If you look around, you can probably find a high quality used unit from ATI, Giesmann or AquaMedic for what you will pay for a new so-so unit.

kurt_n
10/09/2014, 08:48 AM
If you're going SPS, if you want the ability to do *any* SPS you might look at the 6-bulb fixtures. 4-bulb T5HO will work, but you'll have more flexibility for placement and coral type with the 6-bulb.

Hentz
10/09/2014, 09:20 AM
Agreed with everyone above. You're gonna have to spend for SPS. Granted, you can keep your system simple.

I spent my money on lights and a skimmer. That's it lol. My refugium does the cleaning aside from the skimmer and my weekly water changes and my tank is doing amazing.

I run my tank with the K.I.S.S method; keep it super simple.

I ran an 8-Bulb T5 on my SPS dominated tank until I went LED's (Reefbreeder Photon 24" x2). So that goes to shoot your theory, "... or LEDs because Im just not confident they can produce enough intensity."

You want to put your money in the light. I recommend at least going 6-bulbs for SPS. Keep in mind, you don't have to go new. Check out used, there are plenty of amazing lighting systems selling. ALSO keep in mind, if you buy the AquaticLife fixture, it's highly recommended you switch over to ATI bulbs (36" run about $20 - $20 x 4 = $80 (on top of your new fixture's price)

So now lets do some more math...
You buy your AquaticLife Fixture and new bulbs. You're at about $330 now...
You can pick up an ATI fixture, 4 bulb (if 4 bulbs is really the route you want to go) you're now looking at $380 WITH NEW ATI BULBS! So look around, shop around. Don't be afraid to dip into LED's, because I promise you, those are very successful as well.

nmotz
10/09/2014, 10:44 AM
Ok I appreciate the good advice. I also want to keep things very simple, which is why I was hoping to just get a 4 bulb T5 unit, but I agree that this might limit me in terms of coral placement and may ultimately fail to provide the intensity I need.

Where are some places to find good used fixtures other than Craigslist?

Hentz
10/09/2014, 11:12 AM
Ok I appreciate the good advice. I also want to keep things very simple, which is why I was hoping to just get a 4 bulb T5 unit, but I agree that this might limit me in terms of coral placement and may ultimately fail to provide the intensity I need.

Where are some places to find good used fixtures other than Craigslist?

A good place is also here on ReefCentral in the classifieds forum. I see people always selling lights. Another idea in the same forum here, post in the "Wanting to Buy". Tell them what you're looking for and people will find you.

Granted, you'll be paying via paypal and it will be shipped to you. Though much better than buying it full price. Everything in my tank now is used, except for the sump. I can't even tell you how much money I saved and I have a successful sps dominated tank!

markalot
10/09/2014, 11:54 AM
It's a 40 gallon breeder...I looked at some ATI fixtures and they were all pretty expensive. That's why I was thinking about that AquaticLife T5 system.

You'll want six bulbs over a 40 breeder IMO, for SPS. The Aquaticlife fixtures with fans are ok, not the best but ok, but I used the 2 bulb fixtures hat could be tied together and they are pretty bad. Heat alone will kill the bulbs in 6 months. The nice thing about the more expensive T5 light fixtures is the increased bulb life due to better ballasts and keeping the cool spot on the bulb cool.

You can google T5 cool or cold spot, and cooling, to read more. If you're running 6 bulbs at $20 a bulb an extra 6 months of bulb life can save a lot of $$ in no time. :)

nmotz
10/09/2014, 02:43 PM
There are also some good deals on LEDs on Amazon, but I'm not too familiar with LEDs for the aquarium. Does anyone know anything about the Aquamana 165W system? The reviews are good (4.5/5)....any thoughts?

nmotz
10/09/2014, 02:43 PM
http://www.amazon.com/AQUAMANA-LED-55x3W-Dimmable-White-Aquarium/dp/B00FRTJA0K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QX8PRQPW7JQAKMJTQ4Y

This is the link for the Aquamana light on Amazon.

markalot
10/09/2014, 03:05 PM
For softies and LPS a "full spectrum" led fixture will do well. Don't go with a fixture that has only blue and white LED's, you won't be happy. SPS need higher end fixtures or supplementation to look good, IMO.

jdraider75
10/09/2014, 09:03 PM
A 6 bulb ATI and you can grow acros everywhere in your tank.

nmotz
10/10/2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the inputs everyone!

moondoggy4
10/10/2014, 08:04 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2444003This would work, overkill? offer him less also in Ca

moondoggy4
10/11/2014, 12:34 AM
If you want to do a canopy install this.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-ft-let-lighting-miro-4-t5-high-output-retrofit-kit-e6da32eef072f987685b6eddca072d4f.html

This way you can do 4 bulbs to start and add the the 6 bulbs later if you need it, you can do a dusk to dawn effect you will have either 2 or 3 ballast. these are as good as ATI fixtures.

BrentH
10/11/2014, 12:43 AM
im running 4 400 watt radiums on my tank i replaced 2 of them as maintenance and after turning them on 1 seems way brighter then the other 3 all have same ballast on same setting lumatek is what im useing and same reflectors anyone seen this did i get a bad bulb?

BrentH
10/11/2014, 12:43 AM
damn sorry trying to start own thread damn