PDA

View Full Version : Very noisy drain

Kaman8
10/08/2014, 10:24 AM
I just set up my new tank, but I have a really noisy drain under my tank. Overflow is silent. I am using the durso standpipe. How can I have a quiet drain?

RocketEngineer
10/08/2014, 10:53 AM
I'm assuming that the pipe on the left is the return and the pipe on the right is the drain. If this is the case two issues are likely causing you issues.

1) You should avoid horizontal runs in a drain whenever possible. I would rework the plumbing to use 45s to create an angled jog instead of the 90s you have now. Also, since you only have one drain remove the valve on the drain as it is doing nothing and can become clogged if something (a snail) got into the drain line.

2) You are attempting to push too much water through the drain pipe for it to be handled silently. You need to close off the valve on the return pump until the flow through the drain pipe is low enough to be quite. This is an intrinsic issue with the commercial drain setups and is the main reason a Herbie style system is typically employed. A Herbie requires you to use both pipes exiting the overflow box for drains and running the returns over the back of the tank so you would have to redo the plumbing to implement that.

HTH,