PDA

View Full Version : Can I "raise" pods this way?

Rob6311
10/08/2014, 05:18 PM
Ok so If I get a bag of copo pods and put them in a 5 gallon bucket with saltwater and a rock or two would they successfully multiply?

Fade2White12
10/08/2014, 05:24 PM
Ok so If I get a bag of copo pods and put them in a 5 gallon bucket with saltwater and a rock or two would they successfully multiply?

Kind of. You'll also need phytoplankton to feed the pods, water circulation (air stone) and oxygenation, and obviously stable salinity and temperature.

Bryopsis
10/09/2014, 07:53 AM
I did an experiment a few years back with culturing pods..

Can't recall the type of pod, they were ones that cling to the glass vs free floating.
I got a 1 gallon el-cheapo plastic tank from Walmart. Put it in the window so it would overgrow with algae. Introduced pods and that was it. No airstone, no food(except to get the algae growing which they ate), no heater.

As long as it's by the window to grow algae everyday, it'll be fine. I didn't touch it for about 2 years, still had pods populating quite nice. Every now and then I would use a turkey baster to remove abunch of pods, put them in the tank, and then turn around and use water from the tank and put it back in the pod culture. After 2 years, it somewhat thinned out, but adding water seems to take care of necessary nutrients. I finally just dumped them all in the tank because I was moving and changing tanks. Gave away all my inhabitants during the move..

tzylak
10/09/2014, 08:51 AM
Bryopsis, that sounds like an inviting idea for me to experiment with. My only concern has to do with letting the water stand there to grow stuff (fester?), then mixing it with the tank water. Seems like an explosive disaster waiting to happen with some rampage bloom in the DT. -Am I overthinking this?? Tom

Fade2White12
10/09/2014, 09:04 AM
Bryopsis, that sounds like an inviting idea for me to experiment with. My only concern has to do with letting the water stand there to grow stuff (fester?), then mixing it with the tank water. Seems like an explosive disaster waiting to happen with some rampage bloom in the DT. -Am I overthinking this?? Tom

That's why I suggest just throwing an air stone in there. It will protect against stagnation and improve your pod culture.

You can definitely do what Bryopsis said and be able to breed pods to varying degrees. It all depends on how often and how much you plan to harvest. If you want to make a dense full-blown culture, you'll have to feed and provide a slightly more involved system.