PDA

View Full Version : How to ween stubborn lionfish off live foods

xkon
10/09/2014, 08:41 PM
I have my radiata lionfish, about 3-3.5" and am trying to get him onto prepared foods. I have tried frozen mysis and krill with no luck. Tried wiggling a small strip of squid infront of him and that didn't work either.

He does eat the ghost shrimp and will bolt right after it when placed in the tank with my net. I tried putting some mysis in the net with it so maybe when he associates the net with food, he will go after the mysis as well but that is not working as of yet.

You guys have any advice on switching him over? I have an extra 10 gallon I can set up just to have a stock of ghost shrimp available and to gut load them before feedings if it boils down to it and he will just not eat anything else, but I'd rather not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSdB4md30pQ

Betta132
10/09/2014, 09:04 PM
Maybe offer him a freshly dead shrimp on tweezers, one that hasn't had time to pale?

DoubleM 10
10/10/2014, 11:20 AM
when i had my 6 different scorps i would try to feed frozen everyday. they usually took to frozen silversides first. its hard to fins ones small enough. then i try jumbo mysis. keep trying till they eat it. thats all you can do. all of my fish eventually took to frozen.

FishInABarrel
10/10/2014, 01:04 PM
I have a fu manchu lion. When I got him I fed him gut loaded live ghost shrimp. After a week and a half or so, I would put the gut loaded shrimp in a container with some vitamins and garlic. Then in the freezer for a while. After they thawed I used a stealth stick. He took them no problem.
After a week of that I let him go a extra day between feelings and offered krill on the the stealth stick. It was hit and miss for a little bit whether he would take the krill or piece of table shrimp. But now he has no problem taking a piece of shrimp or krill from the stick.