PDA

View Full Version : Help on blending LEDs

Coelli
10/09/2014, 10:51 PM
I have a Biocube 29 with a Nanotuners retro. I recently wanted to get the color of the light a little closer to full spectrum so I emailed RapidLED for suggestions. They suggested I replace the middle strip (of 5 strips) from the RB/CW mix to 4 UV, 1 red, 1 green. I did this but didn't order lenses, figuring I'd see how it went. After getting the dreaded disco effect I ordered 80 degree lenses, but they didn't help either. The red and green LEDs are close to each other but there's some serious Christmas Spirit going on underneath them.

The LEDs are pretty close to the surface of the water - no more than 4-5" because of the Biocube hood so raising them isn't an option. Eventually I may replace them (or all of the LEDs) with something else but it's not in the budget just now. I'm keeping that strip turned down to 10%, the lowest it will go.

Is there anything else I can try to get them to diffuse and blend better? Or is it just not going to happen with them that close to the surface of the water? Thanks!

drtrash
10/10/2014, 07:38 AM
Try searching for diffuser, they make a film that attaches to a piece of acrylic that does a good job of blending

hypnoj
10/10/2014, 09:27 AM
Most lens/optics will usually only make the effect worse (since they focus the light more then spread it). Sometimes it helps to agitate the surface of the water to change things up (point your powerhead up). Another side note: with time you'll get used to it, believe it or not, and it will no longer bother you at all.

jedimasterben
10/10/2014, 09:30 AM
Since you have a Biocube 29, you shouldn't be using any lenses at all unless the fixture is hung over the tank, and even then they aren't all that necessary.

Coelli
10/10/2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks, I think my first step is to remove the lenses and then I'll try some diffusing material. I think I have translucent vellum in my art studio - that'll be first!