PDA

View Full Version : flat worms attach mother colony ouch..

Chicago
10/11/2014, 02:12 PM
how's this for losing mother colony to rust flat worms..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/jchicago/moreflatworms.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/jchicago/media/moreflatworms.jpg.html)

Chicago
10/11/2014, 02:13 PM
do I even dare try to save and put back in system. was a nice rainbow of sorts electric green polyps.. all brown now.

trueblackpercula
10/11/2014, 05:32 PM
Are they aefw or the other type?

Chicago
10/11/2014, 05:53 PM
Planaria ?

trueblackpercula
10/11/2014, 06:15 PM
Oh they don't eat Sps

DavidinGA
10/11/2014, 07:30 PM
Ya all you need is a wrasse....

Chicago
10/11/2014, 10:32 PM
lost wrasse months ago. makes sense.. do I dip in bayer and put the monti back in ?

djsmallz
10/11/2014, 11:20 PM
Flatware exit rid my tank of planeria

Chicago
10/12/2014, 08:59 AM
question is .. is it even worth doing a bayer dip and putting back in my holding system. does bayer kill eggs of these fun guys.. egg cycle?

DavidinGA
10/12/2014, 09:06 AM
Go buy a wrasse. If you have that many just there, you have way more in your tank still.... Buy a couple wrasses

kevin_e
10/12/2014, 10:42 AM
The coral will be fine. Putting the coral back in won't be an issue. Those thing reproduce so quickly that all the FWs on that coral will be in your tank in a day.

Chicago
10/12/2014, 07:05 PM
tossed the moniti... out to get some wrasses

goldencoralfarm
10/13/2014, 12:54 PM
Use Flatworm Exit wont get rid of them. They will come back. Buy the Hoeven Wrasse, it will take care of your problem (female work better than male IMHO). Good luck.

Av8bluewater
10/13/2014, 10:55 PM
Use Flatworm Exit wont get rid of them. They will come back. Buy the Hoeven Wrasse, it will take care of your problem (female work better than male IMHO). Good luck.
Not in one treatment. It will take several treatments. If you do one or two treatments you may as well paypal me the money you will spend. At least I'll spend the money on something fun.
I did 5 treatments. Once a week for 4 weeks then maybe a couple weeks later just to check.
The big hurdle will be the first treatment.
Their dead bodies are very toxic. You must sit there with a brine shrimp net and catch dead bodies for a couple of hours. Don't underestimate the toxicity level. It's for real and will kill coral if you don't take that part seriously. Have carbon and plenty of salt ready. Toward the end of several treatments you may not even need the water change depending on the body count.
It's also very expensive for a big tank. Probably cost me more than $200 in FWE and salt/carbon.

Piper27
10/14/2014, 03:15 AM
Not in one treatment. It will take several treatments. If you do one or two treatments you may as well paypal me the money you will spend. At least I'll spend the money on something fun.
I did 5 treatments. Once a week for 4 weeks then maybe a couple weeks later just to check.
The big hurdle will be the first treatment.
Their dead bodies are very toxic. You must sit there with a brine shrimp net and catch dead bodies for a couple of hours. Don't underestimate the toxicity level. It's for real and will kill coral if you don't take that part seriously. Have carbon and plenty of salt ready. Toward the end of several treatments you may not even need the water change depending on the body count.
It's also very expensive for a big tank. Probably cost me more than $200 in FWE and salt/carbon.

+1

Also a wrasse is not a sure bet either. They get lazy, or never even pick up the habbit of eating flatworms. Flatworm exit will work. But with an infestation pictured it will take a number of treatments, as mentioned.

markalot
10/14/2014, 06:39 AM
tossed the moniti... out to get some wrasses

Good idea, IMO. There could have been thousands of eggs on the rocks around that piece. I'll dip tiny frags in flatworm exit and scrape any exposed areas, but I big colony would be a royal pain IMO.

Can montis be dipped in Bayer? I dip all new acro frags but for some reason I thought it killed montis.

Chicago
10/14/2014, 07:01 AM
well.. I did not exactly toss it.. I have it is a 2 gallon bucket. curious to see what the colony can take.. I am NOT putting it back in .. but I do a full 2 gallon water change every morning on it.. temp goes from like 70 to 80 degress when I do this. no heater in the 2 gallon bucket.

Av8bluewater
10/19/2014, 08:19 PM
I just noticed today mine are back... sigh.
I guess some eggs survived after weeks of weekly treatments.
I also dosed about 150% the dosage.
They don't really seem to bother anything but I don't want the population to get so high it smothers corals or have higher toxin levels when I do the treatment.
I may just siphon them until I can find the FWE on sale.. Maybe black friday. $20 a box is just too much. I may do about 8-10 weeks of treatments this time to try and get through the egg life cycle. It's gonna be expensive.

Moser
10/20/2014, 09:12 AM
I just noticed today mine are back... sigh.
I guess some eggs survived after weeks of weekly treatments.
I also dosed about 150% the dosage.
They don't really seem to bother anything but I don't want the population to get so high it smothers corals or have higher toxin levels when I do the treatment.
I may just siphon them until I can find the FWE on sale.. Maybe black friday. $20 a box is just too much. I may do about 8-10 weeks of treatments this time to try and get through the egg life cycle. It's gonna be expensive.

Did you buy the wrasse?.

If not, why not?.

Mo

DavidinGA
10/20/2014, 10:06 AM
+1

Also a wrasse is not a sure bet either. They get lazy, or never even pick up the habbit of eating flatworms. Flatworm exit will work. But with an infestation pictured it will take a number of treatments, as mentioned.
That's why you buy 3-4 different wrasses...

Av8bluewater
10/20/2014, 10:36 AM
Did you buy the wrasse?.

If not, why not?.

Mo
I've had a melanuras and a green mandarin for a while.
They're not interested.
I have read that the red planaria can get on the SPS bases and cause some bleaching. Has anyone else actually experienced something negative like that?
I wonder if occasionaly vacuuming them out will be sufficient. ??

DavidinGA
10/20/2014, 11:03 AM
I've had a melanuras and a green mandarin for a while.
They're not interested.
I have read that the red planaria can get on the SPS bases and cause some bleaching. Has anyone else actually experienced something negative like that?
I wonder if occasionaly vacuuming them out will be sufficient. ??
Your probably feeding them too often/much...