PDA

View Full Version : Need advice related to suspected flukes

JR8999
10/11/2014, 02:40 PM
I am in quite a bind... I have a purple firefish in my DT that has been occasionally flashing for close to 4 months. I have been observing closely and have not found any other symptoms at all. He eats well, is very active and behaves normally. Lately he has also been occasionally gulping air at the surface. Everything I've read seems to point to gill flukes. I've considered putting him in my QT but after attempts to catch him I've stop trying.

He is only the third fish in my DT and I would like to add more. I have purposefully not added any more livestock in order to observe his issues. The other two inhabitants of my DT are OC clowns which are perfectly happy and healthy. I'm actually considering getting more livestock and moving on since the OC clowns are showing no effects at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

JR8999
10/11/2014, 03:19 PM
In order for us to provide the best possible help, please provide the following information. It will really help us and it will be information we need.

1. How old is this aquarium? 9 months

2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level? NA

3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured? 1.024 refractometer

4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium? Fire Fish 4 months ago

5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How? Yes, 4 weeks. no meds

6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When? NA

7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer? NA

8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color? no visible signs...good color

9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish? See Original post

10. Is the fish eating? What? Yes, very well. Small pellets

snorvich
10/11/2014, 04:03 PM
You might read this. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388423)

Dmorty217
10/11/2014, 04:42 PM
Sounds like you need some Prazipro. Can be dosed in a DT unlike most meds

JR8999
10/11/2014, 08:49 PM
I have actually read that multiple times and I'm still perplexed as to what to do...Do you ever suggest dosing in the DT?

Newsmyrna80
10/12/2014, 06:14 AM
You have a few choices...you can do a FW dip on the firefish to confirm flukes, you can put all the fish in a QT and dose with Prazi or you can dose the main with Prazi. It's really your call. Dosing the main really depends on the type of corals and inverts you have. A lot of people have a success doing it.