PDA

View Full Version : Placement of Sump under a 125g dual overflow

AquaFrenzy
10/11/2014, 03:45 PM
I am ready to plumb my sump but had a silly question, should I center it in favor of the return lines or drain lines? it will be set up with two 1" drain lines to sump, and one return line that Tees off and feeds both sides.

toomany
10/11/2014, 06:17 PM
Drain lines work best when there are little to no horizontal runs or 90's in the pipe. Using 45's can help eliminate some of the problems. Having two overflows, you're probably going to have to angle one of the pipes to get them both to drain into the same chamber.

Return lines have the benefit of a pump pushing the water. You have a little more flexibility when running these. Still...try to avoid 90's as they add to the head pressure on the pump.

JMorris271
10/11/2014, 07:24 PM
I am now setting the same size tank and laying out where to put my sump. What kind of overflow system are you using? Bean animal here
You are already getting good suggestions now. Have you looked at the Bean? The quietest overflow system out there except when the tank is in your neighbors house

AquaFrenzy
10/11/2014, 08:11 PM
thanks for the response! very good point about the 90s im going to avoid them at all costs. as far as what system im not sure yet, I am just hooking up the overflow kits and see how it sounds but id prefer it to be silent as possible since its in my bedroom lol, I will definitely look into beanie. I know the kits are adjustable which is nice.

JMorris271
10/11/2014, 10:05 PM
With 2 overflows you can run a Ben system I learned here. I just put mine in today.
Dead silent, no overflows, never needs adjusting, set once and you're done.
You probable have 4 holes . That's 2 1"holes and 2 3/4 inch hole.

If you choose to go this way for your good nights sleep sake, use 1- 3/4" hole as a full siphon 1 - 3/4" hole as the return Use one 1" hole for the Emergency drain and the other 1" hole for the open channel drain. Very easy to set up and plumb.

JMorris271
10/11/2014, 10:08 PM
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

AquaFrenzy
10/12/2014, 04:40 AM
Great link thanks!!! Definitely looks like the way to go!!

Yea they are built on overflows, the overflow kit has 1" and 3/4" bulkheads (though the pre drilled holes are much larger)

JMorris271
10/13/2014, 06:28 AM
Well that is strange. Two its came with mine but I didn't use anything out of them. Made my own pipes and bought new bulkheads

AquaFrenzy
10/13/2014, 07:56 AM
yea im going to do the same thing, swap out the bulk heads for slip fit ones, replacing the barbed ones, its seems to be a common thing, the trick is finding them locally...